none
Disable camera sharing between multiple applications RRS feed

• Question

• With the new Anniversary update Microsoft introduced a new function. This is sharing your local connected webcam between multiple applications. It is a very nice thing, technology has to advance, but personally, I cannot find any situation where it could be needed except from other software is spying your stream.

Where in Windows can this feature turned off and we get the normal behavior back where one application exclusively has access to the camera on the computer?

Why I want this feature to put off?

Simply because it cannot be controlled visual. When in a skype (for Business) call for example, an other application, maybe executed remote or whatever it comes on the system, can grab your feed from the cam, without knowing it, because the cam is active. At the moment I have a little plastic cab over all my cam's and take that off when using the cam. And yes I am very paranoid about privacy.

So one message to the person who 'invented" this "dangerous" feature within Microsoft. THINK BEFORE YOU IMPLEMENT ST%$#D!

Sunday, August 21, 2016 12:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Wim-Bart,

"This is sharing your local connected webcam between multiple applications"
     How did you get this information?

As far as I know, we could control which application could use the "Camera" here:
    Settings\Privacy\Camera

Windows 10 camera and privacy
    https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-10-camera-and-privacy

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, August 22, 2016 2:06 AM
  • As: "Mike M - Windows Camera Team" in this post states:

One of the main reasons that Windows is decoding MJPEG for your applications is because of performance. With the Anniversary Update to Windows 10, it is now possible for multiple applications to access the camera in ways that weren’t possible before. It was important for us to enable concurrent camera access, so Windows Hello, Microsoft Hololens and other products and features could reliably assume that the camera would be available at any given time, regardless of what other applications may be accessing it.

So without knowing, Windows 10 allows other processes to use the cam in background.

In the normal situation, those applications will fail with a message "Camera or Device already in use." and that is the behavior what is normal, it indicates that some application also uses the camera.

In the Privacy settings we can say which apps have access or not. It's not possible to say 'When I am on Skype with my gf. I DONT WANT ANY OTHER APPLICATION TO GRAB THE CAM!". Or "When I am in a confidential Skype for Business Session, I don't want IT staff to look with me.". The current situation is that background applications can Grab the device and we don't know it.

Monday, August 22, 2016 8:18 PM
  • Hi Wim-Bart,

I noticed he said "how in a situation where multiple applications are making use of this control path, they could interfere with each other". So I think we should get a notification at least.
    At present, I didn`t get any official article to introduce this new feature. As Mike M said, they will release an artile to introduce this new feature. We`d better to wait for the official article to introduce the new feature. Of course, you could submit the question with the "Feedback" hub.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 9:42 AM
  • Why do Devvers mention a functionality what is not covered by the company itself? You say to wait for a statement from Microsoft, but actually it is mentioned by Microsoft and leave us users with some issues on security.

Hell no to deploy this latest version of Windows 10 into a company. Cisco is patching all devices against NSA and Mircrosoft opens Windows to NSA and friends......?

Friday, August 26, 2016 4:00 PM
  • Hi Wim-Bart,

"but actually it is mentioned by Microsoft and leave us users with some issues on security."
    As I pointed out before, we could choose which application could use the camera. I am not familiar with this new feature. It is not available for me to offer more information.

Best regards

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 5:21 AM