All open windows staying on screen when closed. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a strange problem with Windows XP SP3 on an Acer Desktop which I'm not sure if it is hardware or software related.

When I close any program, the program closes but the window, an inactive window, stays on the screen.  To clear the window I have to  launch another program that fills the screen.  Sometimes it starts happening immediately after boot and sometimes after a short period of time,

The programs are actually closed and do not appear in task manager but the inactive window remains on screen.The more programs you open and close the more inactive window remanants there are.

The machine never crashes or BSOD but you can't tell if you have the real desktop or an "inactive one " untill you try to click on something.The machine has an onboard video chip but I have added a plug-in video card which made no difference.All upates have been applied.This is actually my Father in Laws machine so I'm not sure if this started happening after installing something else or what.

Any Idea's ?

Monday, October 8, 2012 1:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We can test the issue in Safe Mode and Clean Boot mode to narrow down the cause of the problem.

If the problem does not occur in Safe Mode but persists in Clean Boot mode, it can be related to graphic device driver.
    If the problem does not occur in Clean Boot mode, it can be caused by some program in the system.

Niko 
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 5:33 AM
  • Stop Themes service and try. You can also change the performance settings to best Performance instead of appearance

Thanks, Renjith V R

• Proposed as answer by StapleBench Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:36 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by StapleBench Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:36 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 5:55 PM
  • Quick Update.

Themes and Performance setting had no effect.

Problem does not appear when in Safe mode.I will try clean boot soon.(I have been away)

Monday, October 15, 2012 1:15 PM
  • Just in case it happens for someone else. I uninstalled Internet Explorer 8 and almost all of the problems disappeared.The only program now leaving a window on the screen is Internet Explorer 7 and this can be closed by using the File /  Exit command instead of clicking on the X.All other programs work fine and I have now installed Chrome and everything seems to work fine.Thanks for the suggestions.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 1:45 PM