none
Pros & Cons of Migrate content to SharePoint RRS feed

• Question

• We use Fast for SharePoint and plan to index content sources - file share and SharePoint. Currently the documents are in file share. We may migrate to SharePoint and want to get a decision in which type of content to invest in migration and which content may stay in the file share. Also what are the benefits of index it when it in SharePoint over when it's in file share (for example - does only documents in SharePoint will get the "tumbnail preview" in search results. etc.)

thanks!

keren tsur

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:33 AM

All replies

• If you migrate files to sharepoint the thumbnails and doc previews will appear (for files Office version 2007-2010, doc, docx, ppt, pptx). migration to SP also will allow to provide richer metadata and document anagement features. in terms of what content it makes sense to migrate: sit down with content owners and identify the content that should be archived (not used) but might be nessasary to store for compliance and other reasons. That would be an example of content the might not make sense to migrate. 

SharePoint MVP, Microsoft VTSP, http://www.arcovis.com

Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:14 PM
  • which properties do i get as crrawled properties when the files are in file share? is there any property which represent the location (folder name)?

and which properties do i get when the content is exchange public folder?

(in order to use that properties in the refinement panel after create a managed property based on what i get in crawl that content sources)

keren tsur

Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:12 AM