windows explorer replacement in vista? RRS feed

• Question

• I just don't like the new explorer. It's much harder to see and navigate the tree... maybe its the bigger/bolder fonts which make it look compressed or maybe its the new icons. Switching to the classic theme makes no difference.

Does anyone know of an explorer replacement with a Windows XP look? 

Alternatively does anyone know how to change the fonts and icons in explorer?

I tried xplorer2 and it has +/- instead of the triangles but it still picks up most of the Vista look.

Monday, February 12, 2007 12:38 PM

Answers

• willyhoops,

I can say with great certainty, that you are not alone in your opinion of the new Windows Explorer user experience found in Windows Vista.  I agree completely with you that changing to the Windows Classic theme makes no great noticeable difference, although it does free up some processing power, but thats besides the point.  If we actually take a momment to think about the concept of Windows Classic, when we look at how much Windows Vista takes a step in revolution versus evolution, of the Desktop Operating System, one could almost think that Windows XP could be considered classic, right?

Well in any event, that is neither here nor there.  Willyhoops you are in luck, because even as I write this to you, I know a group of developers that are hard at work on reverting the visual style, look and feel of the Windows Explorer in Windows Vista back to something more familiar: back to Windows XP.  Currently there are not any alternatives that I can think of to the current Windows Explorer UI (User Interface). 

As for icons and fonts, I do know a solution!

Here are the two ways to change fonts for Windows Explorer in Windows Vista, depending on whether or not your system is running Aero, the new transparent-glass interface

To change Fonts for the Windows Explorer UI in Windows Vista - Aero Enabled

1. Right-click any open area on your Desktop
    2. Click on Personalize
    3. In the Personalization window, underneathe Personalize appearance and sounds, select Windows Color and Appearance
    4. In the Windows Color and Appearance window, underneathe Window Color and Appearance and close to the bottom of the page, click on Open classic properties for more color options
    5. In the Appearance Settings window, click on the Advanced... button
    6. Select an Item: in the drop-down list to which you want to change such as Icon to change the font displayed underneathe each icon that Windows Explorer displays
    7. You will notice that you can now select a font and size that you wish to apply!
    8. Click on OK when you have made all the changes that you desire
    9. In the Appearance Settings window, click on the Apply button to commit changes to the Windows Explorer UI immediately
    10. Click on OK to leave the Appearance Settings window
    11. Close the Personalization window

To change Fonts for the Windows Explorer UI in Windows Vista - Aero Disabled

2. Click on Personalize
    3. In the Personalization window, underneathe Personalize appearance and sounds, select Windows Color and Appearance
    4. In the Appearance Settings window, click on the Advanced... button
    5. Select an Item: in the drop-down list to which you want to change such as Icon to change the font displayed underneathe each icon that Windows Explorer displays
    6. You will notice that you can now select a font and size that you wish to apply!
    7. Click on OK when you have made all the changes that you desire
    8. In the Appearance Settings window, click on the Apply button to commit changes to the Windows Explorer UI immediately
    9. Click on OK to leave the Appearance Settings window
    10. Close the Personalization window

There are several programs that can change the default icon set for Windows Explorer in Windows Vista, but most of them are currently under development.  By far, my favorite from Windows XP is called StyleXP offered by TGTSoft.  However, I do not know if it is compatible or not with Windows Vista at the time of this writing.  You can learn more about StyleXP and other TGTSoft associated software titles here: http://www.tgtsoft.com   I hope that answers your question.

Another useful thing while we speak of UI, icons, appearance and such, have you wondered how you resize your icons on your Desktop using Windows Vista?  I mean, you can resize icons like a breeze with the slider in an open window, but what about your Desktop?  If your computer mouse supports scrolling, heres how you can do just that:

To resize icons on the Desktop in Windows Vista

1. Click any open area on your Desktop
    2. Hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard and using the scroll button on your mouse, or trackpad, scroll up or down and notice your icons will automatically resize on your screen

Hopefully this has helped out in some way?  If you have any questions feel free to e-mail them to me with QUESTION in the subject line, as I would be more than happy to help find a solution to any of your IT problems!

Good Luck,

James Zepp | MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCTS, MCT | Acxsis | Trainer

Email:  JZepp@acxsis.net

Monday, February 12, 2007 8:26 PM

All replies

• willyhoops,

I can say with great certainty, that you are not alone in your opinion of the new Windows Explorer user experience found in Windows Vista.  I agree completely with you that changing to the Windows Classic theme makes no great noticeable difference, although it does free up some processing power, but thats besides the point.  If we actually take a momment to think about the concept of Windows Classic, when we look at how much Windows Vista takes a step in revolution versus evolution, of the Desktop Operating System, one could almost think that Windows XP could be considered classic, right?

Well in any event, that is neither here nor there.  Willyhoops you are in luck, because even as I write this to you, I know a group of developers that are hard at work on reverting the visual style, look and feel of the Windows Explorer in Windows Vista back to something more familiar: back to Windows XP.  Currently there are not any alternatives that I can think of to the current Windows Explorer UI (User Interface). 

As for icons and fonts, I do know a solution!

Here are the two ways to change fonts for Windows Explorer in Windows Vista, depending on whether or not your system is running Aero, the new transparent-glass interface

To change Fonts for the Windows Explorer UI in Windows Vista - Aero Enabled

2. Click on Personalize
    4. In the Windows Color and Appearance window, underneathe Window Color and Appearance and close to the bottom of the page, click on Open classic properties for more color options
    5. In the Appearance Settings window, click on the Advanced... button
    6. Select an Item: in the drop-down list to which you want to change such as Icon to change the font displayed underneathe each icon that Windows Explorer displays
    7. You will notice that you can now select a font and size that you wish to apply!
    8. Click on OK when you have made all the changes that you desire
    9. In the Appearance Settings window, click on the Apply button to commit changes to the Windows Explorer UI immediately
    10. Click on OK to leave the Appearance Settings window
    11. Close the Personalization window

To change Fonts for the Windows Explorer UI in Windows Vista - Aero Disabled

2. Click on Personalize
    4. In the Appearance Settings window, click on the Advanced... button
    5. Select an Item: in the drop-down list to which you want to change such as Icon to change the font displayed underneathe each icon that Windows Explorer displays
    6. You will notice that you can now select a font and size that you wish to apply!
    7. Click on OK when you have made all the changes that you desire
    8. In the Appearance Settings window, click on the Apply button to commit changes to the Windows Explorer UI immediately
    9. Click on OK to leave the Appearance Settings window
    10. Close the Personalization window

There are several programs that can change the default icon set for Windows Explorer in Windows Vista, but most of them are currently under development.  By far, my favorite from Windows XP is called StyleXP offered by TGTSoft.  However, I do not know if it is compatible or not with Windows Vista at the time of this writing.  You can learn more about StyleXP and other TGTSoft associated software titles here: http://www.tgtsoft.com   I hope that answers your question.

Another useful thing while we speak of UI, icons, appearance and such, have you wondered how you resize your icons on your Desktop using Windows Vista?  I mean, you can resize icons like a breeze with the slider in an open window, but what about your Desktop?  If your computer mouse supports scrolling, heres how you can do just that:

To resize icons on the Desktop in Windows Vista

1. Click any open area on your Desktop
    2. Hold down the CTRL key on your keyboard and using the scroll button on your mouse, or trackpad, scroll up or down and notice your icons will automatically resize on your screen

Hopefully this has helped out in some way?  If you have any questions feel free to e-mail them to me with QUESTION in the subject line, as I would be more than happy to help find a solution to any of your IT problems!

Good Luck,

James Zepp | MCP, MCDST, MCSA, MCTS, MCT | Acxsis | Trainer

Email:  JZepp@acxsis.net

Monday, February 12, 2007 8:26 PM
  • Many Thanks also, if you hear about that Vista Theme being finished and available please let me know.
    Thursday, February 15, 2007 2:08 PM
  • I'm learning to deal with the Vista look but the one thing I cannot live with is the Folder button being gone.  How in the world do you turn the Open window into the Explore window without having to close it and open it with Explorer.

Note to Microsoft.  Quit fixing things that were not broken.  Another note.  Get rid of "Hide Extensions".  Losers are using it to spread viruses.  The least you could do is to make show extensions the default.
    Helpful nice guy
    Friday, June 19, 2009 11:48 AM