none
cname alias issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a domain Controller that currently has the same name xxx.com and the website xxx.com the we own. The issue is when anyone on the network tries to connect the websites url xxx.com the error says xxx.com refuses to connect. Now, I have tried to create a cname alias of xxx.com and the target host as the domain server but that didn't work. So can anyone assist me on making it possible for the users to connect to our company website xxx.com.I hope this is enough information to form a great answer. 

Thursday, May 5, 2016 5:52 PM

Answers

• Why don't you create a www record that points to your web server and then use www.xxx.com?

Do not create additional CNAMES the way you mentioned, that may create additional problems. The other option would be to install your website on each DC you have and this is not something I would recommend.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

• Marked as answer by Nanodroid77 Friday, May 6, 2016 9:08 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 12:12 AM

All replies

• Why don't you create a www record that points to your web server and then use www.xxx.com?

Do not create additional CNAMES the way you mentioned, that may create additional problems. The other option would be to install your website on each DC you have and this is not something I would recommend.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Friday, May 6, 2016 12:12 AM
  • Hi Nanodroid77,

If your AD Domain name is "xxx.com" (the same name as your website),and you want to use 'xxx.com' to access your website with no 'www'. If this is the case where you have a same name AD domain and website name, which is called a "split zone" (there are other names for it, too) and you need to handle this portion of it, please read the following for more information:

Can't Access Website with Same Name (Split Zone or no Split Zone)
    Published by Ace Fekay
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/09/04/split-zone-or-no-split-zone-can-t-access-internal-website-with-external-name.aspx

What is Split-Brain, Split-Horizon, or Split DNS?
    http://www.anitkb.com/2010/09/what-is-split-brain-split-horizon-or.html

• Unmarked as answer by Nanodroid77 Monday, May 9, 2016 5:45 PM
    Friday, May 6, 2016 3:21 AM
  • So here is the fix:

Go to DNS server - forward lookup zones- go to your domain name example: xxx.com- Right click it go to New Alias (CNAME) 

1. Alias name field - www

2. which is the third field (fully qualified domain name FQDN - type in the public IP ex: 66.133.14.13 of the domain server which could be hosted by Godaddy or Tucows  hit OK then your done.

thanks guys you rock.....youtube has a great clip on how the works called split zones.

Friday, May 6, 2016 9:17 PM
  • Cartman,

Ok I tried the method that you spoke of and have made all the changes although it worked temporarily. With all changes being made the users are back to no being a able to reach the xxx.com site again. Anymore recommendations will be greatly appreciated or links. 

Monday, May 9, 2016 5:48 PM
  • Hi Nanodroid77,

Here is some similar threads for your reference:

Website with same name as Windows domain

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/958c32b5-3f69-4cfa-9862-b76e6073da1a/website-with-same-name-as-windows-domain?forum=winserverNIS

DNS (internal domain has same name as external website)https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/4d97325b-ff3a-4f46-ba6e-dc3f4ff978e1/dns-internal-domain-has-same-name-as-external-website?forum=winserverNIS

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 1:21 AM