Finding a public folders location by email RRS feed

• Question

• Hey guys, 

is it just me, or is there no way to actually find a specific public folder anymore ? 

• In Exchange 2003 I could at least search for a public folder. 
    • In Exchange 2010, I can't search anymore it seems. 

When I try to find it via Powershell, I get a path for the PF which points to MS Exchange System Objects, and no other path is returned but that one. 

How do you guys find public folders, either based on name or email address ? I'm going crazy over this, we have several thousands public folders. 

Just to give you an idea what I mean: 

I do the command: 

get-mailpublicfolder "blabla@domain.com" | fl 

I get these properties, which COULD be of relevance, if only they actually contained the actual path: 

DistinguishedName CN=PublicFolderNameHere,CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects,DC=domain,DC=local 
    Identity domain.local/Microsoft Exchange System Objects/PublicFolderNameHere 
    LegacyExchangeDN /o=Domain/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=PublicFolderNameHere6c94e8d449521ad1acbcf09d362709602b153e

Doing the LDAP search basically provides me with the same information I can get through Powershell, which is the name of the public folder. But not its ParentPath (which I can get through Get-PublicFolder). 

If I do a get-publicfolder, I can get the name and the parentpath. But no mail information. 
    If I do a get-mailpublicfolder I can get the mail part. But since I can't get the parentpath, I seem to have no way of mapping that info with the get-publicfolder info. 

The path when doing get-mailpublicfolder, is set to somewhere inside MS Exchange System Objects in the AD. 

So - getting the public folder identity via get-mailpublicfolder when searching for the email address is no problem. 
    Getting the public folder name, when using the name as a search criteria, is no problem. 

Matching the two ? Big problem. At least from what I can find. 

Get-Mailpublicfolder gets you the public folders alias and identity. It basically gives me a lot of information, but doesn't report the path of the public folder. And provides me with no usable information I can use with get-publicfolder. 

Get-publicfolder incidentally does provide the ParentPath property. Which is what I would be interested in knowing, so I know where in the folder hierarchy the folder is located. 

However - get-publicfolder does not accept anything get-mailpublicfolder provides, as an identity parameter. 

So, I can find the public folder via get-mailpublicfolder. When I try to pass the name etc. I get from there, as an identity parameter to get-publicfolder, so I can find the parentpath - no dice. get-publicfolder does not accept that. 

What. To. Do ?

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• This command will get you what you need:

get-mailpublicfolder email@example.com | get-publicfolderstatistics |select AdminDisplayName, FolderPath

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
    Blog | Exchange Resources | In the UK? Hire Me.
    • Marked as answer by JacobSaaby Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:27 AM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:09 PM
  • Thanks Simon, you're a lifesaver :)
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:27 AM
  • Just thought I would add that this only works when you run the command directly on the Exchange 2010 server EMS. It does not work when run from an administrative workstation using powershell remoting. I believe it is related to the serialisation and deserialisation of the data sent between the workstation and the Exchange server?

I find it annoying and time consuming to have to log onto the Exchange Server for various powershell commands that don't like serialisation of data. Another example being when you want to convert mailbox sizes from bytes to MB etc. 

If anyone has a solution or further detail on this please post response, thanks.

Saturday, July 7, 2012 11:38 AM
  • Hi,

That is excellent in 2010. How about in 2003. I have run the custome query in AD for the proxy address ( proxyaddresses=smtp:xx@abc.com)  but i am getting only the folder name how to get the excat path as above.

Thanks in advance

Muthu

Thanks Muthu

• Proposed as answer by Clinipace IT Friday, April 7, 2017 10:22 PM
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Worked like a charm.  This is a GREAT command.  Saved me a ton of time.

Tim3249

Friday, March 2, 2018 3:42 PM