Microsoft Rights Management iPad App setup fails RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I downloaded and installed the RMS sharing App (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rms-sharing/id689516635?mt=8) on my iPad. At first run, it asks to "enter your organizational email address". When entered and clicking "Continue", nothing happens except the text-block empties and waits for input. It's impossible to continue.

For information, the I use the same "organizational email address" to setup successfully the Microsoft RMS sharing on Windows (8.1) computers where it works ok.

Thanks for any help...

Thomas.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 8:10 AM

All replies

• Hi Thomas,

RMS sharing app for iPad had some issues since the launch of iOS 8.0 which led to the problem you encountered. We have recently released an update (ver 1.6) that solves this issue.

If you haven't updated the app yet, please install the update via App Store on your iPad.

Thanks,

Yair Cohen

Program Manager

Friday, October 24, 2014 6:20 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

I have just installed and run RMS Sharing app on my iPad mini. For me it works.

Please make sure that:

1. You have Internet Connection

2. You are running the newest Version 1.6 of RMS Sharing App

3. If above confirmed please try to type as e-mail "whatever@predicademo.com" and see if you get redirected to Predica ADFS site with Predica logo (just for tests, that RMS Sharing App is responsive)

Did my post help you or make you laugh? Don't forget to click the Helpful vote :) If I answered your question please mark my post as an Answer.

Friday, October 24, 2014 7:45 PM
  • Thanks.

I can login now. But when I go to my OneDrive and try to open a protected word document that was protected with the same on a desktop computer, it states "Word can't open documents that have restricted permissions". What app should I use to open RMS protected documents (DOCX) if not Microsoft Word?

And to come back to the RMS app, it protects pictures (photos). Is that all?

Thomas.

Sunday, October 26, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Hi Thomas,

Currently, Microsoft RMS team is working with Office team to create RMS-aware Office Suite for mobile devices. As we speak, there is not out-of-the-box native Office files viewer for RMS-protected files.

If you want, you can use 3rd parties (RMS Viewer, Gigatrust, etc), However, Microsoft came up with "temporary" solution: you have to install RMS Sharing App on your workstation (PC/laptop) and once you click "Share protected" button (appears in the Word ribbon once you install RMS SHaring app) to protect the Word file (as an example), this app will create 2 files and by default those will be attached into new e-mail message ready to send:

1. A RMS-Protected .docx word file, which you can open, view, edit and do whatever you want in terms of RMS permissions in Office suite for PC (laptops/workstations)

2. A RMS-Protected .ppdf file . PPDF extension is opened by RMS Sharing app in read-only mode, both on workstations AND on mobile devices.

Both files have the same content, but once you receive e-mail with those files on your mobile device, you can open .ppdf file with RMS SHaring app and you get your contect to read only purposes.

Hope this makes sense and is clear:)

Did my post help you or make you laugh? Don't forget to click the Helpful vote :) If I answered your question please mark my post as an Answer.

Tuesday, October 28, 2014 7:38 PM
  • Hello Andrzej,

Thank you for these clarifications.Please write back in this thread as soon as you get aware of the native working of RMS sharing with mobile office apps.

Thanks again,

Thomas.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 7:50 AM
  • Sure!

I am happy I could help.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 3:22 PM