none
DPM Wont Copy Large Job Over RRS feed

• Question

• I am basically at my wits end with DPM. I have setup a replication DPM to an offsite location. For months now I have been trying to get 1 Protection Group over to this location. All other Protection Groups have replicated over without any error, except this 1. The size of the one which wont go over is about 2.6TB. Originally it was a bandwidth issue, but now I have increased this to a 50mbps dedicated line. This job will run and run and run, even going as high as 1.6TB moved over and then it dies. Basically it seems to start over. Many times there was a hiccup in the line so the job died, but now I am not sure that is the problem. I have been trying to get this part of the backup over for months now and am having no success. Everyday I go into scheduled jobs for the day and delete the ones associated with the Protection Group I am trying to move over, that doesnt even help. I would gladly accept any guidance or help. This is the only part of my backup and replication that doesnt work. I was at 650gb moved yesterday and I came in today to see the job reset itself or died out once again.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:31 PM

Answers

• Noticed there was no reply, sorry for the delay.

With DPM 2010, you can configure DPM to auto-retry CC and synchronizations multiple time so it's more hands off.  See this blog.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/06/06/how-to-use-and-troubleshoot-the-auto-heal-features-in-dpm-2010.aspx

Also I'm not sure if you could re-arrange the volumes data to have a small ntfs volume to be the host volume for NTFS mountpoints, then have multiple volumes be mounted under directories that are shared that clients connect to.        

In my example below,  Host_Volume (U:) is just a very small ntfs volume that only holds the mount point directories and shares. 

UserShare# is a folder that is shared for user access and is the empty mountpoint folder.   Mounted_Volume# is the underlying volume that holds the users directories and data.  DPM protects U: and the Mounted Volumes.   That way a chkdsk and / or a DPM CC only needs to run against the subset of users files on one volume and won’t take as long.

Host_Volume (U:)
       UserShare1 -->Mounted_Volume1
                              UserDir1
                              UserDir2
                              UserDir3
       UserShare2 -->Mounted_Volume2
                              UserDir4
                              UserDir5
                              UserDir6
       UserShare3-->Mounted_volume3
                              UserDir7
                              UserDir8
                              UserDir9

You can “grow” the Mounted_volume at the SAN level if you need more space on that disk for users data, then use diskpart.exe command to grow \ extend the NTFS file system into the new free space, that way you can start with smaller LUN’s and grow them over time as new users / data gets added.

File Systems
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938934.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:23 PM

All replies

• Noticed there was no reply, sorry for the delay.

With DPM 2010, you can configure DPM to auto-retry CC and synchronizations multiple time so it's more hands off.  See this blog.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/06/06/how-to-use-and-troubleshoot-the-auto-heal-features-in-dpm-2010.aspx

Also I'm not sure if you could re-arrange the volumes data to have a small ntfs volume to be the host volume for NTFS mountpoints, then have multiple volumes be mounted under directories that are shared that clients connect to.        

In my example below,  Host_Volume (U:) is just a very small ntfs volume that only holds the mount point directories and shares. 

UserShare# is a folder that is shared for user access and is the empty mountpoint folder.   Mounted_Volume# is the underlying volume that holds the users directories and data.  DPM protects U: and the Mounted Volumes.   That way a chkdsk and / or a DPM CC only needs to run against the subset of users files on one volume and won’t take as long.

Host_Volume (U:)
       UserShare1 -->Mounted_Volume1
                              UserDir1
                              UserDir2
                              UserDir3
       UserShare2 -->Mounted_Volume2
                              UserDir4
                              UserDir5
                              UserDir6
       UserShare3-->Mounted_volume3
                              UserDir7
                              UserDir8
                              UserDir9

You can “grow” the Mounted_volume at the SAN level if you need more space on that disk for users data, then use diskpart.exe command to grow \ extend the NTFS file system into the new free space, that way you can start with smaller LUN’s and grow them over time as new users / data gets added.

File Systems
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc938934.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:23 PM
  • Thanks, I already got this figured out using CC and letting it tally over.
    Thursday, July 5, 2012 3:23 PM