none
Printing Problems RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Microsoft Project Professional 2010 and when I create a new project, I can save the project and print the project just fine, without issue.  When I try to open an existing file (one that I have previously printed), the software will not let me print the project.  My operating system is Windows 7 64 bit.  If I create a new file, copy all of my information into the new file, then I can print just fine.  No idea what is going on here???
    Monday, March 5, 2012 7:46 PM

Answers

• I have figured out that this problem is not a problem at all.  When opening the project, my system automatically disables all of the printing options for the file.  I found that if I click on the "Print Preview" button where the preview normally is located, then all of the printing options enable and the preview appears.  I did not realize that the "Print Preview" button was even a button and that was the issue that I was having.

Thanks for all of the help and I hope that this helps someone else.

Bradly H Moll

• Marked as answer by B Moll Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:42 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:42 PM

All replies

• Firstly, if you haven't installed SP1 then do so.

Secondly, does the project preview OK? Does this happen only on your PC or others?

I have Win 7 64 bit and have never seen this problem.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

Monday, March 5, 2012 10:34 PM
  • I already have SP1 installed, and no the preview does not work either.  It is like it is in trial mode or something....

Bradly H Moll

Monday, March 5, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Bradly,

Rod asked it the problem is unique to your PC or do other experience that same issue but you didn't answer that question. Also, do you have another printer available that you can try?

The fact that you can copy your original files to a new blank file and then it works fine suggests that your existing files may have corruption. Try saving to XML and then re-open. Does that help?

John

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Most printing problems in Project are related to the printer drivers and not Project. In addition to the other comments, we've had troubles with some printers on 64-bit Windows. Apparently not all printer vendors have made all their printer drivers working properly with Windows 64. We can't identify the pattern of what works and what doesn't work. My suggestion would be to ensure you have latest drivers installed, try other printers, etc. It's maddening. In our small start-up, we've stopped buying 64-bit desktops/laptops as we got tired of messing around trying to make printers work.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:21 AM
  • I have installed the software on 2 different 64 bit, Windows 7 machines, with the same results; so it is not machine specific.  It does not appear to be printer specific either, as once I bring up the file that has been previously saved, I cannot change any printer settings on any of the printers.  The print preview does not work at this point.  I did learn that I can print the file, it just defaults to print the entire project on a single sheet of paper, which is unreadable.  I too thought that there could be a corruption issue and tried the XML save option, which does not fix the problem either.  I believe that the latest print drivers have been installed for most of my printers.  I typically, update the print driver on the server and then we are all set for all who use the printer.  I will be testing this with a 32 bit machine and will post the results.

Bradly H Moll

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 4:00 PM
  • I have figured out that this problem is not a problem at all.  When opening the project, my system automatically disables all of the printing options for the file.  I found that if I click on the "Print Preview" button where the preview normally is located, then all of the printing options enable and the preview appears.  I did not realize that the "Print Preview" button was even a button and that was the issue that I was having.

Thanks for all of the help and I hope that this helps someone else.

Bradly H Moll

• Marked as answer by B Moll Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:42 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 8:42 PM