SLES 9 on Hyper-V 2012 R2 - is it even possible? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I`ve a client that have one old application running on SLES 9 server (virtual machine on VMWare). They want me to migrate this service to Hyper-V 2012 R2 without upgrading SLES to officialy supported version (which is SLES 11 I think). Please advise if it possible to successfuly install and perform with SLES 9 on Hyper-V 2012 R2 when there is no official support with Linux Integration Services? I assume that in this case there will be no network drivers availble for the client and therefore no communication possible.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 9:31 PM

Answers

• I've not tried it with SLES 9 myself, but using generation 1 VM with a legacy network adapter instead of the standard virtual NIC, should get you connectivity with no issues. Any of the advanced features provided by the integration services won't be present but the machine should run and talk with the network. 

The thing I'd be more concerned about is the support aspect. If that VM goes boom and you need help from Microsoft, they will not provide support for that VM. Just something to keep in mind. 

Hope this helps!

Andy Syrewicze

Come talk more about Hyper-V and the Microsoft Server Stack at Syrewiczeit.com and the Altaro Hyper-V Hub!

Post are my own and in no way reflect the views of my employer or any other entity in which I produce technical content for.

• Edited by Andy SyrewiczeMVP Tuesday, February 9, 2016 3:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by 8BitMime Friday, February 12, 2016 1:59 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 3:06 PM
  • Since there's no built-in LIS support in SLES9, you are likely to only be able to use the emulated devices in Hyper-V. You'll run, but you won't be able to use any features that require guest cooperation (like dynamic memory and live backups) and your performance won't be the best.

Thanks, --jrp

Joshua R. Poulson, Program Manager, Microsoft Open Source Technology Center

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:24 PM

All replies

• I've not tried it with SLES 9 myself, but using generation 1 VM with a legacy network adapter instead of the standard virtual NIC, should get you connectivity with no issues. Any of the advanced features provided by the integration services won't be present but the machine should run and talk with the network. 

The thing I'd be more concerned about is the support aspect. If that VM goes boom and you need help from Microsoft, they will not provide support for that VM. Just something to keep in mind. 

Hope this helps!

Andy Syrewicze

Come talk more about Hyper-V and the Microsoft Server Stack at Syrewiczeit.com and the Altaro Hyper-V Hub!

Post are my own and in no way reflect the views of my employer or any other entity in which I produce technical content for.

• Edited by Andy SyrewiczeMVP Tuesday, February 9, 2016 3:06 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2016 3:06 PM
  • Since there's no built-in LIS support in SLES9, you are likely to only be able to use the emulated devices in Hyper-V. You'll run, but you won't be able to use any features that require guest cooperation (like dynamic memory and live backups) and your performance won't be the best.

Thanks, --jrp

Joshua R. Poulson, Program Manager, Microsoft Open Source Technology Center

Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:24 PM