none
User Directories

Question

• Can someone tell me when user directories are created? Are they created when a user logs onto a server or are they created when the user is created in the AD?

We are running 3 terminal servers with Windows Server 2012 R2 and I'm looking to go through old users and remove them.

Thursday, January 12, 2017 8:50 AM

All replies

• Not quite what I was looking for. I just wanted to know when the user directories are created, not record what changes are made.
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:19 AM
  • User profiles and related directories will be created when the first logon will occur.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Ahmed MALEK

My Website Link

My Linkedin Profile

My MVP Profile

Thursday, January 12, 2017 10:44 PM
  • Hi,
    The system creates a user profile the first time that a user logs on to a computer. At subsequent logons, the system loads the user's profile, and then other system components configure the user's environment according to the information in the profile.
    And regarding to delete the old user profile, you could also refer to the following article to see if it helps:
    How to Automatically Delete User Profiles Older Than a Certain Number of Days Using Group Policy
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/28647.how-to-automatically-delete-user-profiles-older-than-a-certain-number-of-days-using-group-policy.aspx
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, January 13, 2017 7:21 AM
  • It depends upon your user-provisioning methods.
    If you populate the home_directory attribute when creating the user account via ADUC, ADUC will attempt to create that home_dir.

Otherwise if you are using GPO Folder Redirection and have setup the server-share accordingly with permissions, the CSE for Folder Redirection would create the folders.

There are potentially other mechanisms which could do it, say, a logon script or if you are using some form of identity provisioning solution such as MIIS/FIM/ILM/etc..

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Friday, January 13, 2017 7:31 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 16, 2017 8:54 AM