Exchange 2010 SP1 Mailbox issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We have experienced a strange exchange 2010 issue recently and wanted to know if anyone else had seen something similar.

Last week we noticed one of our exchange data store generating transaction logs faster than have done previously, using Exmon we identified the user mailbox that was causing this. Using EMC I could see that the item count on this mailbox was also increasing. However when I mounted the mailbox to see what was coming in, there were no messages arriving but the item count was still rising and transaction logs being generated quickly, this was causing our storage volumes to run out of capacity. I also checked the mail queues but nothing was arriving which could suggest the symptoms.

We moved and isolated the user onto another volume with ample capacity on a single database, and it looks like the issue has stopped. Also when I attempted to move this user with a mailbox size of 5GB the move process identified it as a 20GB! Mailbox and the mailbox move took 12 hours! The mailbox was definitely 5GB and not 20GB as running the EMC command for Database size showed it as 4.88GB in size.

Could this be mailbox corruption? has anyone seen this before?

Regards

Khal

Monday, September 3, 2012 1:11 PM

Answers

• The recoverable items are not counted against the mailbox quota, yes.

The deleted items folder itself however is.

• Marked as answer by Khal.Sarab Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:13 PM

All replies

• Run Get-MailboxFolderStatistics against the mailbox.

My guess its in the recoverable items folder. This could have been caused by a corrupt Outlook rule or misbehaving ActiveSync device or corrupt .ost file.

Monday, September 3, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Thanks for your reply after running get-mailboxstatistics | fl i found the 20GB to be in the deleted items folder, but does that mean the deleted items folder does not form part of the mailbox max size policy?

you are probably right about the Active Synch, just found out that the user has purchased a new Android device.

thanks 

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 9:52 AM
  • The recoverable items are not counted against the mailbox quota, yes.

The deleted items folder itself however is.

• Marked as answer by Khal.Sarab Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:50 PM
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 12:13 PM
  • All celar now many thanks A D.
    Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:50 PM