Win 7 64-bit printing heartburn RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.  Having an intermittent printing problem with 64-bit Win 7.  Most of the time there are no problems printing to the HP laserjet, HP plotter, a brother printer, or simply printing a document as a PDF.  All is well.  In the 6 weeks since I installed Win 7, three or four times printing from all applications just stops.  In Word 2007 I get the mssg "Microsoft Office Word has stopped working."  Eventually Word crashes restarts with a recovered copy of the doc (glad of that sometimes) but when I hit print again Word glazes over, generates the previous mssg and crashes once again.  Some other apps, like Adobe Illustrator stop printing but a bit more gracefully by simply generating a dialog box with "Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup.  It doesn't seem to matter what printer (including Acrobat) is selected as default, I'll get the same "no can print" mssg.

What is particularly puzzling is that I can go to the olde Start button, bring up the Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Devices and Printers window and all seems just ducky with the printers.  I can click through to run test pages on all the printers and lovely little MS Windows test pages print out indicating all is well in the printing arena.  However, when I go back to an app to try to print it appears that my current printer setup is all wrong. 

I can clear this by restarting Win7, but that is a pain.  An item of note is that the problem seems to show up after having multiple apps, and apps running multiple windows.  Does Win7 just get pooped and have to take a rest on the bench before it can get back in the game?  I often am running several graphic apps to cut & paste docs such as using Photoshop & Illustrator to prep graphics for Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.  I didn't have this problem in XP.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated!!

Rustdoc
    Friday, December 11, 2009 3:29 AM

Answers

• Your issue can be mostly caused by the third party conflicts. It's better to test your issue in the Clean Boot mode to find the root cause. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button and type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search Box and press Enter.
    2. Select the Services tab in the open window. Check the “Hide all Microsoft Services” option and click Disable All.
    3. Switch to the Startup tab and click Disable All.
    4. Click OK to save the settings and select Restart when prompted.
    5. Check whether or not the issue still occurs.

If the Printer works fine in the Word now, you can try to the dichotomy to find the cause. You can refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

John
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:53 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 6:06 AM

All replies

• Your issue can be mostly caused by the third party conflicts. It's better to test your issue in the Clean Boot mode to find the root cause. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click the Start Button and type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Search Box and press Enter.
    2. Select the Services tab in the open window. Check the “Hide all Microsoft Services” option and click Disable All.
    3. Switch to the Startup tab and click Disable All.
    4. Click OK to save the settings and select Restart when prompted.
    5. Check whether or not the issue still occurs.

If the Printer works fine in the Word now, you can try to the dichotomy to find the cause. You can refer to the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

John
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Thursday, December 17, 2009 8:53 AM
    Friday, December 11, 2009 6:06 AM
  • Thanks John, but a normal restart makes the problem go away.  I'm not tracking on what I'll learn by doing a clean boot?  Since this problem doesn't happen every day are you suggesting running from a clean boot for an extend period (days) and see if printing from applications goes in the ditch again?

I'll check out the link,

Thanks,

Rustdoc
    Friday, December 11, 2009 6:57 PM
  • Hi Rustdoc,

Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't adversely affect the system or other programs. You can still manually run these programs later. 

In addition, there may exist device conflicts between your printer ports, you can try to leave only one printer on your computer to test, it's better to update the latest driver from the printer manufactures' websites.

I hope this can help you. 

John

Monday, December 14, 2009 1:48 AM
  • Same type printing problems for me since upgrading from XP to Win 7 64 bit.  Print spooler stops every few days and I have to manually restart.  Powerpoint won't print to network printers, only local pdf printer - sometimes.  Restarts may cure, but the ongoing problems are a real pain.

The irony is a Microsoft app on a Microsoft OS won't print - non MS apps will - yet a Microsoft rep says to start disabling things at startup...

Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:16 PM
  • We are intermittently facing the issue on Win7 64 bit computers. We have a printer server on Server 2008 with HP Universal printer drivers installed, and deployed the printers to different OU  through group policy. In 300 PC network this issue comes randomly on different PCs, I searched internet but found no working solution yet.

If I suspect my printer server, then it should give issue to all the computers in the network.

Right now the work around ( for temporary basis) we are using is to add the printer locally through TCP/IP port.

Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Umesh

Thursday, February 24, 2011 2:43 PM
  • I've been having problems printing since I installed 64-bit Win7 nearly two years ago.

I had them with Office 2007, and now I have them with Office 2010.

The problem is mostly intermittent but extremely irritating. Printing should not be that hard anymore. The error messages provided are not even the least bit useful.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:28 PM