none
BMR / System State Backups being marked as inconsistent after 24 hours RRS feed

• Question

• I have a DPM server in a branch location that I am trying to get a BMR/System State backup for on our local DPM server.  After 24 hours of running (about 75% done) it gets flagged as inconsistent.  The backup continues and is finished in another 6 to 8 hours, but the console says it's inconsistent.

My question is, is there a way to make it so it doesn't "timeout" after 24 hours?  If not, can I mark it somehow as consistent so I can create a recovery point?

Thanks,

Doug

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:26 PM

Answers

• The bandwidth thing reared its ugly head again.  So I finally had to just do a local backup to a share, which was in turn protected by DPM.  That pulls across in over 24 hours, but always works.  If they are going to allow support for Windows Backup in DPM, they need to take into account not all WANs will transfer in under a day.
    • Marked as answer by Doug Crabtree Monday, August 20, 2012 12:24 PM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 12:23 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Since DPM uses WSB on the local server to actually take the snapshot, does taking a BMR locally work? Does it also take a huge amount of time?

For system state: Wbadmin start systemstatebackup -backuptarget:e:     
    For BMR: wbadmin start backup -allcritical -backupTarget:<any existing drive name>:     

When we use WSB to take the BMR we just write it directly to the storage pool.
    Another article to help you troubleshoot the issue.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2011/10/31/troubleshooting-data-protection-manager-system-state-and-bare-metal-backup.aspx

Regards, Shane. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, April 6, 2012 7:35 PM
  • Local backups are not an issue, just over the WAN.  It finishes in about 30-32 hours on the WAN.  WSB on the remote server shows completed ok, but it shows inconsistent in DPM Console.  I was just hoping that there was some way to make DPM allow extra time (over the 24 hour timeout) for the backup to complete over the WAN.  It is a weekly job, so even if it took 48 hours it would be ok.

Thanks,

Doug

Monday, April 9, 2012 3:20 PM
  • I just wondered if the PG is configured to perform a consistency at regular intervals, which may explain this? There are two tick boxes on the last page of the PG modification wizard, which relate to consistency checks.

Bruce.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:38 PM
  • That was the first thing I checked.  All of our remote office BMR PGs have these two unchecked.  I'm almost to the point of deleting the PG and starting again to see if that doesn't clear it up somehow.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Doug,

What's the bandwidth between these servers?
    What type of link? (VPN, DOD, dedicated T1)
    What is the distance?
    If you take a netmon trace do you see a lot of dropped packets, tcp retransmitts and\or tcp resets?

Example: If this link is a 512Kbps link with a distance of 1000 miles with other dpm backups (and other types of traffic) taking place across this same link, your routers may be getting flooded and dropping packets.

If you perform a BMR backup via WSB and save it locally then copy and paste it via windows explorer across this same link, does it also take the same amount of time or does it finish copying much sooner.

Once the BMR is taken it is written directly to the storage pool. 

Shane

Regards, Shane. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 10:21 PM
  • I know it's not the answer you're looking for but have you looked at how you can reduce size of the BMR/System State backup so it completes more quickly.

BMR will backup everything on your Windows system drive. Is there anything there which could be moved to another drive? Essentially, all you need is the OS and DPM install.

Regards,

Bruce.

Thursday, April 12, 2012 4:43 PM
  • Hello,

To re-iterate Bruce's point, an example would be, if you have HyperV installed and you keep the VHD's on the C:\ where the OS is installed, then the BMR will include the VHD's as well. In one particular case the BMR was over 1TB simply because the VHD's were kept there.  The solution was to move the VHD's to another drive. So yes, this too is relevant. 

Thursday, April 12, 2012 8:44 PM
  • Hello,

I got the same problem.

Local backups works fine.

When dpm wants to make a backup of the mbr, it start the backup fuction of the protected server ,  because the line between the dpm server and the protected server is VERY slow, copying the BMR (18GB) takes about 2,5 days,   but befor the action can be finshed, dpm gives a error:

Failed to create the System State backup within the timeout period. (ID 30215 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FC)

When DPM gives the error, the target server is stil copying the mbr to the share op the dpm server.

I suspect its a timeout issue, is there a way to change the timeout value in some way?

Regards,

Barry

edit:  making a BMR backup using "Windows server backup" and using a share map on the dpm server as destination, works fine.

• Edited by Barry He Tuesday, May 29, 2012 6:58 AM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 12:01 PM
  • I ended up figuring out the ISA/TMG was limiting uploads, and was able to run a patch that would increase the throughput.  After that, the backups started running in about 12 hours.

Seems weird though, based on the backup frequency, you would think DPM would be more lenient with the timeouts ... or give administrators the ability to set them.

Monday, June 18, 2012 6:25 PM
  • It seems no-one can answer the question if it is possible to change the time-out value. I have the same problem here because of some sites that have only 1Mbps connections.

Most frustrating is that it only exceeds the 24h by a little:

Server 1: 24:00:39

Server 2: 24:03:11 

Server 3: 24:00:35

Server 4: 24:00:16

Server 5: 24:00:17

Server 6: 24:01:05

Server 7: 24:00:16

Result: all replica's are inconsistent.

Did anyone find a way to get past this meanwhile and - important too - if the timeout value can be changed, is it still supported by MS?

My grandmother always used to say: "::1: sweet ::1:"

Monday, August 20, 2012 10:16 AM
  • The bandwidth thing reared its ugly head again.  So I finally had to just do a local backup to a share, which was in turn protected by DPM.  That pulls across in over 24 hours, but always works.  If they are going to allow support for Windows Backup in DPM, they need to take into account not all WANs will transfer in under a day.
    • Marked as answer by Doug Crabtree Monday, August 20, 2012 12:24 PM
    Monday, August 20, 2012 12:23 PM