none
Recover entire Exchange database from backup RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon.

I'm in a major pinch and am hoping the group can help!

I have a customer that has Exchange 2007 and I'm their new consultant.

In the middle of planning for a VMware, P to V migration, their Exchange 2007 (on Server 2003) crashed and died.  Like completely dead!

They have good backups and I have an .edb file I can restore from.  However it needs to be to an entirely new server.

So I installed 2008 Server, then Exchange 2007, then updated to the most recent SP3 Rollup, and can see that it's in the same Exchange organization as the old/dead server.  I think I'm ready to go and now I need to recover from a perfectly intact, quality .edb file.

How do I do that?

- With the original server dead, I can't use powershell commands to move to the new server, nor can I use portability

- I tried to just mount the .edb file, but that obviously failed

- I created a recovery group, but can't merge the data from the restored .edb file in with the default mailbox created by the install, because it's saying there aren't any mailboxes to merge with.

This should be so simple!  I have a quality backup and a new environment!  Why can't I just import or bring the mailboxes into the new server?!?!

Please help!

Saturday, April 30, 2016 9:46 PM

Answers

• Hey Cinco,

I would recommend following this article. It discusses how to recover an Exchange 2007 server through the use of the setup /m:recoverserver switch. This is particularly useful because it pulls all the Exchange config back from Active Directory. Which will give you a much easier time getting databases mounted again and users back online.

Article here. Some good subpages under it too.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123496(v=exchg.80).aspx

Practical help for Exchange & Office 365 - SuperTekBoy | Twitter | LinkedIn

Saturday, April 30, 2016 10:48 PM
  • This is a great article, Gareth.  Thank you.

In this particular instance, I ended up reconstructing and repairing the database using ESEUTIL, committing the transaction logs and then was able to mount the database.

The issue was related to the database being flagged as a dirty shutdown.  Evidently, the Datto appliance (the backup method the previous consultant used) doesn't commit the transaction logs to the .edb file prior to backing up the db.

Once the logs were committed and the database repaired, the db mounted just fine and we're back in business.

Thanks so much for the response.  Nice to know there are forum members willing to help and contribute to one another's success.

Monday, May 2, 2016 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hey Cinco,

I would recommend following this article. It discusses how to recover an Exchange 2007 server through the use of the setup /m:recoverserver switch. This is particularly useful because it pulls all the Exchange config back from Active Directory. Which will give you a much easier time getting databases mounted again and users back online.

Article here. Some good subpages under it too.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123496(v=exchg.80).aspx

Practical help for Exchange & Office 365 - SuperTekBoy | Twitter | LinkedIn

Saturday, April 30, 2016 10:48 PM
  • This is a great article, Gareth.  Thank you.

In this particular instance, I ended up reconstructing and repairing the database using ESEUTIL, committing the transaction logs and then was able to mount the database.

The issue was related to the database being flagged as a dirty shutdown.  Evidently, the Datto appliance (the backup method the previous consultant used) doesn't commit the transaction logs to the .edb file prior to backing up the db.

Once the logs were committed and the database repaired, the db mounted just fine and we're back in business.

Thanks so much for the response.  Nice to know there are forum members willing to help and contribute to one another's success.

Monday, May 2, 2016 5:59 AM
  • Please have a look at this article which explains how to perform a basic restore of a Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 database by using Windows Backup in Windows Server 2003:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-in/library/aa996859(v=exchg.80).aspx

Also get help from this exchange recovery solution to get this job done easily and efficiently: http://www.exchange2007recovery.org/

Hope this helps!

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 7:24 AM