none
read dns debug log and output in readable CSV format RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to follow this link to read my dns debug log and generate output in readable csv format and not not been successful.

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Read-DNS-debug-log-and-532a8504

I download the "read-dns-debug-logs-get-dnsdebuglog.ps1", rename it to "get-dnsdebuglog.ps1" and run this command - get-dnsdebuglog -dnslog ".\dnsdebuglog" | export-csv .\properlyformatedlog.csv

However, the properlyformatedlog.csv has nothing. 

Would someone advise the proper way to run this?  

Many thanks. 
    Saturday, June 18, 2016 3:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>I download the "read-dns-debug-logs-get-dnsdebuglog.ps1", rename it to "get-dnsdebuglog.ps1" and run this command - get-dnsdebuglog -dnslog ".\dnsdebuglog" | export-csv .\properlyformatedlog.csv

Run the code you downloaded  in powershell , then use Get-DNSDebugLog to generate report.

>>However, the properlyformatedlog.csv has nothing. 

Before you export it to csv,please check the DNS debug logs ,is there any log in the log file?

Or did you enable the DNS debug logging on your DNS server?

Monday, June 20, 2016 5:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>I download the "read-dns-debug-logs-get-dnsdebuglog.ps1", rename it to "get-dnsdebuglog.ps1" and run this command - get-dnsdebuglog -dnslog ".\dnsdebuglog" | export-csv .\properlyformatedlog.csv

Run the code you downloaded  in powershell , then use Get-DNSDebugLog to generate report.

>>However, the properlyformatedlog.csv has nothing. 

Before you export it to csv,please check the DNS debug logs ,is there any log in the log file?

Or did you enable the DNS debug logging on your DNS server?

Monday, June 20, 2016 5:24 AM
  • dns debug is turned on and the log file is under a folder in the C drive.  
    Monday, June 20, 2016 1:06 PM
  • Hi,

So have you run the code you downloaded  in powershell before you use Get-DNSDebugLog to generate report?

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 8:42 AM