none
DPM 2010 - System State Backup Failed RRS feed

• Question

• I setup a backup job for a physical server that included the C: drive and the system state.  The first backup and recovery point went fine.  I then logged into the protected server and realized that it saved the local system state files to a hard drive that I needed to use for another purpose.  I removed this drive and now the backup fails.  

1. Can i change the local directory where the system state backup is saved to?

2. Can this directory be the C: drive?

3. Do you have any other recommendations in order to solve this problem and get this server's system state backed up successfully?

Thanks!

Monday, August 9, 2010 7:50 PM

Answers

• Hi Caleb,

As per: Change the Location of the Backup File: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809015.aspx

To Change the Location of the Backup File

The backup file of system state is created at %systemdrive%\DPM_SYSTEM_STATE.

To change the location of the system state backup file

1. On the protected computer, open PSDatasourceConfig.xml in an XML or text editor. PSDatasourceConfig.xml is typically located at install path\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Datasources.

2. Change the <FilesToProtect> value from %systemdrive% to the desired location.

3. Save the file.

4. On the DPM server, if there is a protection group protecting the system state of the protected computer in step 1, run a consistency check.

5. The consistency check will fail and generate an alert. Perform the recommended actions in the alert as follows:

1. In the alert details, click the Modify protection group link, and then step through the wizard.
      2. Perform a consistency check.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:04 AM

All replies

• Hi Caleb,

As per: Change the Location of the Backup File: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb809015.aspx

To Change the Location of the Backup File

The backup file of system state is created at %systemdrive%\DPM_SYSTEM_STATE.

To change the location of the system state backup file

1. On the protected computer, open PSDatasourceConfig.xml in an XML or text editor. PSDatasourceConfig.xml is typically located at install path\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Datasources.

2. Change the <FilesToProtect> value from %systemdrive% to the desired location.

3. Save the file.

4. On the DPM server, if there is a protection group protecting the system state of the protected computer in step 1, run a consistency check.

5. The consistency check will fail and generate an alert. Perform the recommended actions in the alert as follows:

1. In the alert details, click the Modify protection group link, and then step through the wizard.
      2. Perform a consistency check.

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:04 AM
  • great!  I am performing the consistency check as we speak.  Is it safe to place this systemstate backup on the C: drive?
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 12:20 AM
  • Yes - absolutly - please be sure to maintain enough free space for the backup and normal operating system operations.
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 3:20 AM
  • Fantastic, will do!
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:04 AM
  • This worked like a charm!  Thanks again Mike!
    Tuesday, August 10, 2010 6:04 AM
  • That info really helped me too Mike, appreciate it.

Is there a way to tell DPM to delete the local copy of the system state after it's backed up to disk/tape?

Does DPM continuously use this to track changes?

Friday, September 9, 2011 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

I don't see any benefit of removing the local copy of the systemstate as it will be recreated during each subsequent backup and is simply overwritten.  By maintaining it, that will help ensure that the space required for future systemsate backups is available.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, September 19, 2011 5:04 PM
  • Hi,

I don't see any benefit of removing the local copy of the systemstate as it will be recreated during each subsequent backup and is simply overwritten.  By maintaining it, that will help ensure that the space required for future systemsate backups is available.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Ya, after thinking about it that's the same conclusion I came to.

We ended up adding an addition lun to each server dedicated for systemstate backups and things are fine now.

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:22 PM