none
Cannot change FileShareWitness Server (Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup and Get-ClusterQuorum show different FSW)

Question

• Hi,

I have (stretched) DAG with two Exchange 2013 servers. One server in one AD site. FSW server is in a primary site. Today I have to shutdown a primary site for a couple days, so I need to move FSW to a DR site, before turn off primary site.

I run this command and get error
    Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup -Identity E15DAG -WitnessServer DC2

There was a problem changing the quorum model for database availability group E15DAG. Error: An error occurred while at tempting a cluster operation. Error: Cluster API failed: "ClusterResourceControl(controlcode=CLUSCTL_RESOURCE_SET_PRIVATE_PROPERTIES) failed with 0x15. Error: The device is not ready"

After that I have check FSW settings with command bellow and get this warning:

Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup -status | FL Name, *Witness*
    WARNING: The witness server and directory currently in use by database availability group 'E15DAG' doesn't match the
    configured primary or alternate witness server. This may be due to Active Directory replication latency. If this
    condition persists, please use the Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup cmdlet to correct the configuration.
    WitnessServer             : DC2.local
    WitnessDirectory          : C:\DAGFileShareWitnesses\E15DAG.local
    WitnessShareInUse         : InvalidConfiguration

Also, Get-ClusterQuorum shows that no changes were made to the cluster:
    Get-ClusterQuorum | Fl *
    Cluster: E15DAG
    QuorumResource : File Share Witness (\\DC1.local\E15DAG.local)
    QuorumType     : NodeAndFileShareMajority

Exchange Trusted Subsystem is a member of domain administrators group.
    How can I fix that?

Any help is appreciating.

Sunday, April 29, 2018 11:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

How about manually setting the NodeAndFileShareMajority for the cluster?

Set-ClusterQuorum -NodeAndFileShareMajority <disk resource path> 

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:54 AM

All replies

• I would start looking at networking and ensure that all ports are open between the two sites and there are no name resolution issues.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Sunday, April 29, 2018 11:56 PM
  • All IP  (includes udp/tcp/icmp) traffic is permitted. 

DCDIAG and event log don't show DNS related issues.

Also, I done test-cluster and got no relevant errors.

I can Move-ActiveDatabase and move PAM without errors. Replication works well.
    • Edited by IvanSergeev Monday, April 30, 2018 12:10 AM
    Monday, April 30, 2018 12:09 AM
  • I successfully executed commandlet with another DC server (primary site) as FSW

No errors, but again Get-ClusterQuorum  shows old QuorumResource

Could someone test in a lab how much time does it take to update QuorumResource field in output of Get-ClusterQuorum  ?

Is it probably not allowed by design to set FSW in another site?  In that case the only option will be data center switchover :(

Monday, April 30, 2018 12:49 AM
  • After restart DC2 server, I managed to set DC2 as FSW. Now Get-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup –status shows:

WitnessServer             : DC2.local

WitnessDirectory          : C:\DAGFileShareWitnesses\E15DAG.local

WitnessShareInUse         : Primary

And Get-ClusterQuorum shows old QuorumResource.  I have  not seen any errors.  Is it ok?

How can I test new FSW?
    Monday, April 30, 2018 1:27 AM
  • You shouldn't be using a domain controller as an FSW.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Monday, April 30, 2018 6:33 AM
  • Hi,

How about manually setting the NodeAndFileShareMajority for the cluster?

Set-ClusterQuorum -NodeAndFileShareMajority <disk resource path> 

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, May 1, 2018 8:54 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry for late respond, I was having a tough time during this weekend because of the office relocation. Eventually I managed to point cluster to correct FSW server after restarting DC2 server and repeat Set-DatabaseAvailabilityGroup

Cmdlet you proposed looks like quite useful for my situation. I have saved it for the future.

Thank you for help!

Friday, May 4, 2018 10:44 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, I’m aware about security concern (exchange trusted subsystem as domain admin), but this is only for the office relocation, usually FSW resides on a just member server.

Friday, May 4, 2018 10:46 PM