locked
localupgradestatus failed RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I have a SharePoint 2010 site collection that was working fine then failed.

    I have two seperate farms built identically and procedures executed on one for test then the other to confirm results.... each farm has one app/CA server and two WFE's

    So, I took the decision to change the Farm account to a new Actvice Directory account.

    I followed the procedure using stsadm upgrade farm credentials. Reset various accounts, application pools and checked the new account was in the correct places, ran -local on each WFE. Access to the config db is fine, central admin works, timer service has changed WFE's have correct app pool accoint but.... I ran the psconfig wizard gui on central admin server, can't remember why. 

    Now I have the health analyser bringing an upgrade to my attention. It has decided that "The following databases require upgrade because their versions are older than the backwards compatible range: 

    WSS_Content_CTest. 

    I'm getting access denied if I login as the install account (sp_admin used to create the farm) if I issue localupgradestatus on the server, though I suspect this is normal?

    I'm assuming, and its just an assumption, that the test content database is actually out of date, what could cause this? Any pointers to check?

    now running.... 

    "PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures"

     

     

    Successfully installed the application content files.

    Performing configuration task 5 of 6

    Upgrading SharePoint Products...

    10.00%The farm is being upgraded in the timer service process. The task is 25.64% completed.

    The farm is being upgraded in the timer service process. The task is 77.62% completed.

    Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products.

    An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown.  Additional exception information: The upgrade command is invalid or a failure has been encou

    Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products.

    Total number of configuration settings run: 5

    Total number of successful configuration settings: 4

    Total number of unsuccessful configuration settings: 1

    Successfully stopped the configuration of SharePoint Products.

    Configuration of SharePoint Products failed.  Configuration must be performed before you use SharePoint Products.  For further details, see the diagnostic log located at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Micros

     

     

    It seems more like the content database is probably fine just access permissions are wrong... looking at the database it seems correct..

     

     

    00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 14.0.5130.5002

    1A707EF5-45B2-4235-9327-021E5F9B8BB0 4.0.8.0

    6333368D-85F0-4EF5-8241-5252B12B2E50 4.0.146.0

     

     

    The Central admin server version says.... "Farm Information Configuration database version: 14.0.5130.5002"

    Config DB Versions table says

    14.0.5130.5002

    4.0.8.0

    4.0.15.0

    Psconfig says (running a timer job as the new farm account)

    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: CREATE TABLE permission denied in database 'WSS_Content_CTest' seems like the new Farm Account simply didn't get permissions to access the existing content database. 

    As a test I created a new test site and that works fine. Must be permissions, and as STSADM UpdateFarmCredentials was executed I'm not sure why it didn't ensure permissions were in all the correct places.

    I detached and reattached with a new owner and strangely the psconfig ran fine, the db version did not change.

    Seems like the new farm account is was not granted permissions somehow, now I'm thinking the process to change the farm account is half way... I created a new quick test site and the db is the same version as the original failing db, now I'm seeing it add in the old sp_farm as a user which shouldn't be there.

    A quick dive back to "manage the managed accounts" page and the page blows up.... something else to fix.

     

    Thanks

    Anthony


    Thursday, January 27, 2011 2:52 PM