Supersedes Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I am just working on WSUS and having following confusions.

ON ALL UPDATES when i click update and want to see its details for Approval i can see this message

"This Update supersedes another update.Before you decline any superseded update,we recommended that yo verify it is no longer needed by any computers.To do so , approve the superseding update first."

Question : what should i do with this update just right click and decline ?

As per my googling i found a link on which author defines that there are three different types of supersedes updates and you can decline type two and type three

http://www.tecknowledgebase.com/43/how-to-identify-and-decline-superseded-updates-in-wsus/

Question: Is my understanding Right ?

Or any Any other suggestions

Saturday, June 11, 2016 9:40 AM

Answers

• Hi,

yes your understanding is correct, feel free to decline those updates:   as long as the superseding update () is approved & and the superseded updates () are no longer needed by a computer

Regards

Daniel

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by Osama-Mansoor Sunday, June 12, 2016 6:45 AM
    Saturday, June 11, 2016 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi,

yes your understanding is correct, feel free to decline those updates:   as long as the superseding update () is approved & and the superseded updates () are no longer needed by a computer

Regards

Daniel

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Marked as answer by Osama-Mansoor Sunday, June 12, 2016 6:45 AM
    Saturday, June 11, 2016 9:58 AM
  • Hi Osama-Mansoor,

Glad to see you have found the answer you want. In addition, it is also recommended to do regular maintenance for your WSUS server frequently after declining superseded updates. Just for reference:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/configurationmgr/2016/01/26/the-complete-guide-to-microsoft-wsus-and-configuration-manager-sup-maintenance/

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 13, 2016 5:57 AM