none
Late Filter applied and some tasks appear "LATE" but finish date is not late RRS feed

• Question

• Hello I have applied the filter to show all late task in my project.

When I select it I see upcoming tasks that appear to be late but the due date is not yet passed.

Why are they appearing as late?  can you help me remove them from the late filter?

Thanks,

Olga

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 5:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I assume these tasks are not "late" because finish date is passed. They are just "late", because there progress is not as far it should be for the current date.

Assume a task with 2 days duration, starting on a Monday.

• Without entering any progress, this task will be late on Tuesday.
    • With a progress of 50% (50% of 2 days duration = 1 day) it is On Schedule on Tuesday.

So with filter "late" you will see all tasks with not yet the progress as expected based on duration. Does that make sense?

Regards
    Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog (English/German)

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 6:39 PM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thanks for the feedback as that explains some of the logic for upcoming tasks that are showing up as late due to progress not being indicated.

My issue is, that I have 3 tasks that are scheduled to finish on 1 on Oct 11th and 2 on Oct 22nd that have progress of 60%, 25% and 10% marked against them also showing up as late.  do you know why this is?

This was a project I ended up taking over from someone that didn't have an schedule in place and the project start date reflects the day I took it over and these task durations were simply increased by me to the period  the resource had identified it was going to be completed by so I added 65 days to one task and 71 days tot he other two tasks. I am not sure if that has anything to do with it?

Thanks,

Olga

Thursday, September 12, 2019 2:57 PM
  • Hi,

as I tried to explain: "late" is not depending on Finish date, but on progress related to Start and duration. So if the tasks starts far in the past and will finish in 2 weeks, 60% complate may not be too much? If you look at your tasks: I assume the black bar does not show "progress" until today, so it is late.

You can change or check this by using "Update Project" on tab Project. Select the tasks showing late but not being late. in Update Project dialog select "Update work as completed through" and select current date. Choose "Selecetd tasks" as "For" and click OK. You will see what progress Project expects to have these task "On Schedule". You can undo this action afterwards, if you want to.

Regards

Barbara

Barbara Henhapl Blog (English/German)

Thursday, September 12, 2019 3:10 PM