none
Resource Assignment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have a good question.  

i have a project.Have 2 tasks and 1 recource (max unit 2 (number of capacity))

Task A and Task B

Task A duration 5 days and Task B duration 10 days. Both starts on the same date.

And i assign 1 resource to Task A and 1 resource to Task B. I want when Task A finish, all resources to work on Task B.

How can i link this allocation?

Both Tasks are Fixed Work and effort driven. Project 2013 pro.

Thank you

• Edited by selcukz Friday, January 3, 2014 1:36 PM
    Friday, January 3, 2014 1:33 PM

All replies

• Because you have defined your resources using max units >100% - rather than creating another resource, the only method is to manually edit the work for Task B using either the Task Usage or Resource Usage view.  You'll need to increase the work for the two days following the end of task A to 16 hours.

If you had two separate resources, you could have assigned the second resource to Task B with 20 hours of work and delayed the start until the finish of Task A.

Friday, January 3, 2014 2:22 PM
  • ....or....split Task B into two tasks, B1 and B2.  Assign one resource to B1 and two resources to B2.  Then link the finish of A to the beginning of B2.

That still requires you to guess how long task A will take, but you're already doing that anyway.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky

Friday, January 3, 2014 2:41 PM
  • Thanks

How can i delay the start until the finish of task a.

I don't understand this. 

Friday, January 3, 2014 2:44 PM
  • In the Task Usage view, change the start date for the assignment for the second resource.

• Proposed as answer by John - Project Saturday, January 4, 2014 3:45 PM
    Friday, January 3, 2014 4:28 PM
  • Hi, It is noteworthy that Resource Leveling Will do automatically the delay on one of the 2 resources Julie talks About. Greetings,
    Friday, January 3, 2014 7:58 PM
  • Thanks Julie,

I learn new things everyday :)

Saturday, January 4, 2014 6:27 AM
  • One more option. You can use Task Form view with Gantt chart. In Gantt chart view, split the screen by selecting the Details checkbox in Format tab. In the bottom, you can read Task form on the left. Now right click on anywhere on the Task form and choose Schedule. This will display Assignment start and finish of the resources assigned to the task selected in Gantt chart view.

Sai PMI-SP, MCTS Project

Tuesday, January 7, 2014 4:52 AM