Offline WSUS - RRS feed

• Question

• We have an Export WSUS and Import WSUS. We mistakenly imported the metadata before we copied the updates from the export. the MS manually say the following ... although it's not clear what to do to fix the problem.

What does it mean "by copying the update to a directory on the importing server and then deploying the update again."

"If WSUS finds metadata for an update that is not in the file system, the WSUS console shows that the update failed to be downloaded. This type of problem can be fixed by copying the update to a directory on the importing server and then deploying the update again. "

I've tried re copying  updates and importing metadata on the import WSUS, wsutil reset and still the updates will not download.

Could some tell us what we need to do to get the updates to download?

Thanks

Greg

Thursday, June 9, 2016 12:45 PM

Answers

• Try starting from scratch:

1. Delete the imported metadata from the import target folder (e.g., C:\WSUS\WSUScontent on the target machine)
    2. Run "wsusutil.exe /reset" on the target machine
    3. Copy the contents of C:\WSUS\WSUScontent from exporting machine to target machine - helps to have the same setup on source and target machines, so that this folder is in the same place
    4. Import content via wsusutil.exe on the target machine

From your description above, you were missing step 1.  Please let us know if you have already run the steps in this order, in which case you'll need some different guidance.

"Deploying" the update means approving it for installation.  Assuming default settings, this is ordinarily when WSUS would download the content.  Therefore, this operation makes the connection on the target WSUS server between imported metadata and copied update content.

I'm not sure which tutorial you were using, but this is the recommended approach to export/import: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680473.aspx

Friday, June 10, 2016 2:36 AM

All replies

• Try starting from scratch:

1. Delete the imported metadata from the import target folder (e.g., C:\WSUS\WSUScontent on the target machine)
    2. Run "wsusutil.exe /reset" on the target machine
    3. Copy the contents of C:\WSUS\WSUScontent from exporting machine to target machine - helps to have the same setup on source and target machines, so that this folder is in the same place
    4. Import content via wsusutil.exe on the target machine

From your description above, you were missing step 1.  Please let us know if you have already run the steps in this order, in which case you'll need some different guidance.

"Deploying" the update means approving it for installation.  Assuming default settings, this is ordinarily when WSUS would download the content.  Therefore, this operation makes the connection on the target WSUS server between imported metadata and copied update content.

I'm not sure which tutorial you were using, but this is the recommended approach to export/import: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb680473.aspx

Friday, June 10, 2016 2:36 AM
  • The obvious one is have the updates actually downloaded to the export server?  Your metadata is the catalog of updates available, if they have not been approved on the export server then the export server will not have downloaded them for you to import, even though the updates are still in the catalogue that you imported.

Secondly I have also come accross the same symptoms when my offline WSUS server was not used as the environment was no longer live. 6-8 months later whe I tried to re-provision the environment I was getting the exact same issue you had with updates not showing as downloaded. I even verified the actual files were present on both servers yet the "export" server was serving the updates and the "import" server was still thinking the file had not yet been downloaded.

I tried to rebuild the "import" WSUS twice without success, I put this down to updates required that were published by the "export" WSUS but then deleted / subseeded in the time I was not updating the "import" WSUS.

I was convinced that if I could attach my "import" server to the internet and update at least once from microsoft then all would be well but alas the IT Security team refused this option.

I found no help on this forum as it seems very few people use this setup and in the end I had to take a clone of the "export" server and placing this into my "offline" network and use that going forward.

So now my "import" server is a clone of my "export" server but as they are on different network it does not matter. The usual export / import process is now working for me using this setup. Fortunately WSUS is a standalone slef contained product and does not require anything but a IP connection to work so it does not need joining to any domains to serve updates.

Friday, June 10, 2016 10:50 AM
  • Hi Steve,

Step #1 you mean the content files - not metadata .... I did that.

If you mean delete the metadata how do you do that .... with wsuitl?

Other steps have been followed.

in #4 do you mean import metadata - which I have done.

Thanks,

Greg

Friday, June 10, 2016 12:53 PM
  • Hi LGS Greg,

What's going on with your issue now? Have you made it work? If yes, you are welcome to feed back the resolution.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 15, 2016 5:43 AM