none
paste into a lookup table RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to paste data into a lookup table in server 2010?  I am trying to avoid typing a considerable amount of data.  The admin. manual says use the paste button but I can't seem to get the data to come over.

Long Live America

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:58 PM

Answers

• pasting directly into the Lookup Table grid in PWA is problematic at times. The best way I have found to do this is to create a local custom field in Project Pro. In that dialog pasting is a bit easier. Then use the Import field to enterprise button in the Customize fields dialog. That will bring the field and the lookup table into the enterprise. Then delete the field in PWA and the lookup table remains.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:28 AM

All replies

• Vassily,

Where are you copying it from? I have been able to copy/paste from Excel without any issues (using Paste, or Ctrl+V). The only Caveat is that it does not retain any outline structure information.

Prasanna Adavi, PMP, MCTS http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:32 PM
  • Vassily-

You can do this activity, but always rememmber of pasting special so that you can ignore any HTML special char or any unnecessary chars. and at the end the indentation will need to be modified by you.

Hope that help.

Dev

Dev EPM Consultant

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:46 AM
  • pasting directly into the Lookup Table grid in PWA is problematic at times. The best way I have found to do this is to create a local custom field in Project Pro. In that dialog pasting is a bit easier. Then use the Import field to enterprise button in the Customize fields dialog. That will bring the field and the lookup table into the enterprise. Then delete the field in PWA and the lookup table remains.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:28 AM
  • Brain is right that pasting in the Lookup table grid is difficult some time. In my opinion this may give you hard time when copying data from excel but not always because it try to copy the formatting with it so what i say, copy the data to notepad first and then copy it from notepad to the Lookup table grid. Otherwise creating it in Projec Pro and importing it to enterprise is also a good option. Regards Adil

From Microsoft Forums

Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:29 AM