Where go the 40 Free Site and Application Templates RRS feed

• Question

• My Client recently complaints that they lost the ability to create site using some of the templates that existed in WSS 3.0 (Moss 2007), I found out that they are no longer there, in the list of templates.  I tried to download and install again in 2010.  They do not work.  Are there equivalent to the 40 free templates in 2007, in 2010?  Where Can I download them?  Thanks!
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 2:33 PM

Answers

• The official launch is May 12.  The code went RTM in April and became available through some channels like MSDN.  But retail availability isn't due until after May 12, and many of the auxilary features like language packs won't be available probably until then.  In addition code from MSDN and Technet aren't licensed for production usage.  They are meant for development and test only.  Finally, the fabulous 40 were always labled as educational content and where never meant to be production grade installations.  They were supposed to demonstrate what is possible, not be installed and used in a production environment.  There is no guarantee that they will be upgraded.  I was told that it was being worked on and I expect them to be made available for 2010.  But there is no official timetable for their release that I am aware of. I can't provide you a link to check because there is no link.  I checked by asking people I know who said the updates were being worked on. 

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Proposed as answer by akiraplt Monday, May 10, 2010 4:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Margriet Bruggeman Friday, March 30, 2012 10:05 AM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:47 PM

All replies

• The last time I checked the updates for these were still being worked on by Microsoft and the 2010 versions are not available yet.  I doubt you will see them before the official launch date later in May, and it will probably be later than that.
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:14 PM
  • Where is it really that you checked for the updates on these stuff?  Is it accessible to non-MVP?  Could you please help to provide me with the link.  I thought the official launch is in April.  I had downloaded SharePoint 2010 Standard from MSDN Subscription website and had also deployed the software on one of my farm's server.  There is no warning regarding that all of the pre-existing "wsp" will not work correctly in 2010.  Some, I have source code, I can convert to 2010, as sharepoint solution; however, other, such as the 40 free application templates, I do not have access to the code.  Bad Microsoft!  Bad, very bad Microsoft!

I am stuck with the upgrade now.  My users have to wait for the release from Microsoft until the could continue with those sites creation.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 6:36 PM
  • The official launch is May 12.  The code went RTM in April and became available through some channels like MSDN.  But retail availability isn't due until after May 12, and many of the auxilary features like language packs won't be available probably until then.  In addition code from MSDN and Technet aren't licensed for production usage.  They are meant for development and test only.  Finally, the fabulous 40 were always labled as educational content and where never meant to be production grade installations.  They were supposed to demonstrate what is possible, not be installed and used in a production environment.  There is no guarantee that they will be upgraded.  I was told that it was being worked on and I expect them to be made available for 2010.  But there is no official timetable for their release that I am aware of. I can't provide you a link to check because there is no link.  I checked by asking people I know who said the updates were being worked on. 

• Proposed as answer by akiraplt Monday, May 10, 2010 4:53 PM
    • Marked as answer by Margriet Bruggeman Friday, March 30, 2012 10:05 AM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 8:47 PM
  • It's like a fishing bate.  Microsoft build them so that they can demon their product.  When you purchase the product, you find out that they are for educational purpose only.  And worst yet, if you do not read their statement carefully, you will use those extras in your production environment.  And even worst yet, your business starts to depend on those extra features, and when Microsoft upgrade their product, and if you are not very careful in planning ahead, you will run into a problem where your business have to be put on hold for awhile, while the so call "educational purpose add-ons" get upgraded. 

Why couldn't they warn us before we upgraded?  Why couldn't we get better inform instead of having to dig around so much to get to be informed?  I understand information is money and Microsoft is an acronym for money; however, I would think we had paid for that kind of information when we purchased Microsoft product.  Microsoft software is always like an unfinished car, where all the wheels are optional and for educational purpose only.  Oh well, I can not run my car now, I have to wait for a more compatible tires set.

Monday, May 10, 2010 4:20 PM