none
Windows 7 Will Only Deploy with Default Windows AHCI drivers When HDD is in AHCI mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hello hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have MDT 2013 on Windows 2008 Server and have updated to the latest patch etc. but I can't seem to figure out AHCI when deploying Windows 7. The machines image correctly but after the OS has been deployed and the machine reboots to boot into the new OS for the first time it blue screens.

Basically all the machines we have had to date have had the issue but they have always imaged successfully if you set them to IDE/Compatible mode in the BIOS. However, we've had a couple of new Panasonic and Dells in that no longer have an IDE option in the BIOS so I have to have them set to AHCI.

Now I know people are going to immediately say "make sure your storage drivers are being injected" and I know they are. What I did discover however, is that if I remove them from the driver store in MDT and DONT inject them the images boot up fine with the default Microsoft AHCI driver. Once booted I can manually install the AHCI driver from the manufacturer without an issue and everything is stable.

So why when I try to inject the manufacturers driver do I get a blue screen but when I don't inject one at all and the default MS one is used does it work?

Any ideas???

Many Thanks

• Edited by Regnodulous Wednesday, June 8, 2016 12:02 PM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2016 12:00 PM

All replies

• Sounds like conflicting drivers or the process used to manually install the manufacturers driver is different than what MDT is doing from the driver store.

Are you using the total control method for drivers? http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

I would recommend using that approach for this model and test it with selection profile set to nothing and toggle "Install all drivers from the selection profile" and "Install only matching drivers from the selection profile" and see if anything changes.

Have you compared AHCI Driver version numbers in your test cases?

Regards,

dlofstedt
    Thursday, June 9, 2016 10:11 PM
  • Thanks - yes we are using the total control method.

I'm going to do some more testing with differnt drivers and will post my findings. Thanks

Thursday, June 16, 2016 3:05 PM