Windows Server 2008 w/ SharePoint 2007 - Application Errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have recently just began working with my new company and one of the tasks I have been assigned is the SharePoint setup.  Upon reviewing their SharePoint server I have noticed that there are numerous errors which appear within the Event Viewer.  There Event ID's are:

• 10034 (WSS 3 Search) - Upon startup
    • 10036 (WSS 3 Search) - Upon startup
    • 6641 (Office SharePoint Server) - Every 5 minutes
    • 6398 (WSS 3) - Every minute
    • 6482, & 7076 (Office SharePoint Server) - Every minute

I am able to get the error messages to stop by doing the following steps below however upon a reboot, the errors will start all over again.

• Open the Services
    • Locate Windows SharePoint Services Search
    • Pause the service (for a few minutes)
    • Resume the service

Our SharePoint setup is that all aspects run on the same PC.  This is not my ideal sitaution and I do plan on changing down the road as an upgrade to the servers is to take place within the next 6-12 months.

I have research many webpages and all updates / hotfixes that I have found say that they have already been applied or are not applicable to our website.

Although one of the errors is coming from the WSS 3 Search, I have been able to get the search working by utilizing KB896861.  The search appears to function correctly whether the errors persist or not.

I have also reviewed KB927156 and created a new configuration database which does seem to resolve the errors upon startup however when doing this I lose all IIS settings as well as the configuration settings within SharePoint.  But with this said, I am willing to investigate the KB927156 further if someone may be able to assist me in the steps on getting the SharePoint server back up to its previous state but with the new database.  My knowledge to SharePoint is still quite green however I have the most experience on the team so I have been assigned this task.

I do have a copy of the event logs for anyone who wishes to see them however I am not able to attach to this forum.

Any help that anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!  Thank you in advance!

Shaun

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:08 PM

Answers

• Hi Shaun,

For error 10034 and 10036, it seems to be caused by the Windows SharePoint Servers(WSS) 3 Search account don't have the sufficient privilege to access the configuration database and the FPS_WSS_Search database.
    To fix the issue, pelease go to the SQL Server, and assign the service account the proper permission(at least). In order to narrow down the issue, you can try to assign the account to admin permission and check if the issue was fixed.

For error 6641, 6398, 8428 and 7076, it seems be to caused by the password for the Shared Service(SSP) had been changed, and it is not synchorizated. It caused the encryption or decryption to be fail.
    To fix the issue, you can change the account with a valid password. Or, please reconfigure the SSP.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jinchun Chen
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff AT microsoft.com(Please replace AT with @)
    • Proposed as answer by Zoeb S Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:07 AM
    • Marked as answer by Shaun Longworth Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:19 PM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Hi Shaun,

You can follow these steps to ensure the credential(user name and password):

1. Open the Central Administration(CA)
    2. Click "SharePoint Service Administration" from the left panel
    3. Move mouse to the SSP
    4. Click the inverse trangle
    5. Click "Edit Properties"
    6. In the coming page, ensure the SSP Services credential is correct

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jinchun Chen
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff AT microsoft.com(Please replace AT with @)
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:34 AM

All replies

• Here is a copy of some of the errors which are occuring

Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search
    Event ID: 10034
    Category: Gatherer
    Description: Could not access the Search service configuration database.

Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3 Search
    Event ID: 10036
    Category: Gatherer
    Description: Cannot open database ""FPS_WSS_Search"" requested by the login. The login failed

Source: Office SharePoint Server
    Event ID: 6641
    Category: Office Server Shared Services
    Description: The SSP Timer Job User Profile Full Import Job was not run.
    Reason: Error during encryption or decryption. System error code 0.

Source: Windows SharePoint Services 3
    Event ID: 6398
    Category: Timer
    Description: The Execute method of job definition Microsoft.Office.Server.Administration.ApplicationServerAdministrationServiceJob
    Reason: Error during encryption or decryption. System error code 122.

Event ID: 6482
    Description: Application Server Administration job failed for service instance Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchAdminSharedWebServiceInstance
    Reason: Error during encryption or decryption. System error code 0.

Event ID: 7076
    Description: An exception occurred while executing the Application Server Administration job.
    Message: Error during encryption or decryption. System error code 122.

Friday, September 16, 2011 4:26 PM
  • Hi Shaun,

For error 10034 and 10036, it seems to be caused by the Windows SharePoint Servers(WSS) 3 Search account don't have the sufficient privilege to access the configuration database and the FPS_WSS_Search database.
    To fix the issue, pelease go to the SQL Server, and assign the service account the proper permission(at least). In order to narrow down the issue, you can try to assign the account to admin permission and check if the issue was fixed.

For error 6641, 6398, 8428 and 7076, it seems be to caused by the password for the Shared Service(SSP) had been changed, and it is not synchorizated. It caused the encryption or decryption to be fail.
    To fix the issue, you can change the account with a valid password. Or, please reconfigure the SSP.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jinchun Chen
    Forum Support
    • Proposed as answer by Zoeb S Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:07 AM
    Monday, September 19, 2011 9:52 AM
  • Hello Jinchun,

Thank you for the quick reply.  I will work with our team to try to fix the security issue on the database right away.

Concerning the sychronization of the passwords, can you please advise where in the SSP I would enter this information.  I have went through the settings a few times and anywhere I could find I tried to update this however due to my inexperience I may not be looking in the correct place.

Thank you,

Shaun

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 9:51 PM
  • Hi Shaun,

You can follow these steps to ensure the credential(user name and password):

1. Open the Central Administration(CA)
    2. Click "SharePoint Service Administration" from the left panel
    3. Move mouse to the SSP
    4. Click the inverse trangle
    5. Click "Edit Properties"
    6. In the coming page, ensure the SSP Services credential is correct

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jinchun Chen
    Forum Support
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:34 AM
  • Hello Jinchun,

Thank you for your assistance so far.  With your advice I have been able to get majority of the errors to disappear by updating the password on the SSP as well as updating the password on any of the Services which were also being executed by the MOSS Admin account.

The only error that I still have outstanding are the following:

Source: Windows Share Services 3
    Event ID: 3760
    Category: Database
    Description: SQL Database 'FPS_SharePoint_Config' on SQL Server instance 'FPS' not found.  Cannot open database "FPS_SharePoint_Config" requested by the login. The login failed.  Login failed for user 'FRONTIER\mossadmin'.

I believe that this is also an access issue however I am stumped as to where to go next from here to try and look for further credentials.  And this error only appears after a reboot.  Any ideas where these settings may be?

Thank you,
    Shaun

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:51 PM
  • I'm having the same issue, and hope to find the same resolution, but when I open CA, I get a "Page cannot be displayed" error.  The address IE opens to is http://servername:4721/.  How do I make this work?

Also, we are not using Sharepoint, could this be why?
    • Edited by dpmcmull Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:10 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 6:10 PM