none
Error (10437) - Virtual Machine Manager failed to add [server] as a host.

Question

• After a server restart of os (W2K8R2 SP1) VMM could not contact the host (which BTW VMM is running on). So I removed host (successfully through VMM) and then attempted to re-add it.  SSP2.0SP1 (beta) is also installed on this server and has been working fine.

Error (10437)
    Virtual Machine Manager failed to add [server] as a host. 

Recommended Action
    Ensure that the Virtual Machine Manager Agent service is started on [server], and then try the operation again.

Restarting the agent had no effect.

VMM 2008 R2 2.0.4521.0 SP1

Add Virtual Machine Host fails on 1.1 Install Virtual Machine Agent

Saturday, July 02, 2011 7:00 AM

Answers

• Fixed. There was a group policy that enabled remote administration (standard WFW defined rule):

computer configuration\policies\administrative Templates: Policy definitions\Windows Components\Windows Remote Management\WinRM Service

Allow automatic configuration of listeners

When I removed this rule from GP could then add host.

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:41 AM

All replies

• Try to install the agent using MSI logging.  Then if it fails again the reason why should be captured in that log file.

“msiexec.exe /i vmmP2VSource.msi /L*V c:\temp\vmmagent_install.log”.

I hope this helps.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Best Regards, Mike Briggs [MSFT] -- posting provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights

Sunday, July 03, 2011 12:08 AM
  • I can install the P2V agent manually but the host still cannot be added (same error as above).
    Sunday, July 03, 2011 7:47 AM
  • The vmm agent is already installed and running on the host (which also has VMM2008R2 installed). The agent is located at:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\bin\vmmagent.exe.

The vmmagent.exe is 2.0.4521.0 which appears to be the correct agent for VMM. Why does it attempt to reinstall the agent, then fail when it is all ready running?

Sunday, July 03, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Fixed. There was a group policy that enabled remote administration (standard WFW defined rule):

computer configuration\policies\administrative Templates: Policy definitions\Windows Components\Windows Remote Management\WinRM Service

Allow automatic configuration of listeners

When I removed this rule from GP could then add host.

Friday, July 15, 2011 2:41 AM
  • I had the same problem when I tried to add my VMM server

Unbelivable my problem was with time , The time in VMM server and DC was different , after modifying the time , I could successfully added VMM server as host

Krishnadas Arakkal (MCT)

Monday, October 03, 2011 12:21 PM