Issue with Win XP Control Panel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have an issue in the control panel in that when I go and click on the Games Controller Icon to set up the Joy Stick absolutely nothing happens. The icon doesn't change, the mouse pointer doesn't change and I don't get any further to set up the joystick. The joystick works as it is a USB connection however I cannot set it up. Can someone help please
    Monday, April 16, 2012 9:35 PM

All replies

• so you open / run the game controller control panel applet and nothing happens? Try rebooting? Try it in another user account. Also make sure to isntall the controllers drivers appropriately.

Regards, Bill

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:29 AM
  • Hi Chris,

Does the vendor of this joystick provide a driver CD for it? Can this joystick be installed and work properly on another computer? Can other USB devices be installed properly on this computer?

We might need to do more test to narrow down the cause of the problem.

Regards

Kevin

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:33 AM
  • What happens if you type joy.cpl and press enter in start/run?

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:39 AM
  • No not vendor driver and I dont have access to any other computers. all other USB devices work ok.
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:19 AM
  • Thanks for advice but have done all that to no avail.
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:19 AM
  • Nothing at all happens.
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:21 AM
  • disable virus protection? do a repair installation of xp? copy a know good copy of the cpl file in question? does it work on another machine? what type of joystick?

Regards, Bill

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Have disabled anti virus, Have reinstalled windows XP sp3 not sure how to do a repair install of XP from original disc as it states that original version not same as one on machine. Where would I get a copy of the .cpl file from and yes it works fine on a windows 2000 machine. The joystick is a Genius F-23
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 4:08 AM
  • Hi Chris,

We can search through Internet to find Windows XP driver for this model of joystick. Then please install the driver and try using the joystick again.

Considering SP3 is installed in the system, if you hope to perform repair install of Windows XP, you will need to change the BIOS setting to boot up from the set-up CD of Windows XP and perform the repair install.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

Still, I suggest we try installing driver for this device before we try reinstalling the Windows XP system.

Regards

Kevin 

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 19, 2012 7:39 AM
  • ok sounds like its just not compatible with XP. You can try to determine which driver is being used by the windows 2000 system and try and use it.

btw way if your finding any of this helpful feel free to "vote as helpful".

Regards, Bill

Saturday, April 21, 2012 3:56 AM