none
Implementing Orchestrated offline VM Patching using Service Management Automation Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hopefully I am in the right spot to ask this, but I am trying to implement the solution from this article: http://blogs.technet.com/b/privatecloud/archive/2013/12/07/orchestrated-vm-patching.aspx

However, I am running into errors on testing which I have not been able to figure out. The first are "access denied" and "path does not exist" errors when the script tries to get-childitem from the wsus server wsuscontent share. I have verified the WSUSSERVER variable was created and is defined correctly, that the share exists, and that the runbook service account, as well as the VMM servers have read access to the share. I am not sure what account is being denied that it is trying to access this with and the security log on the wsus server is not showing any failures.

Job Details

get-childitem : Access is denied At VM-Offline-Patching:13 char:13 + + CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: (\\SERVER NAME REMOVED\wsuscontent:String) [Get-ChildItem], UnauthorizedAccessException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : ItemExistsUnauthorizedAccessError,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand

get-childitem : Cannot find path '\\SERVER NAME REMOVED\wsuscontent' because it does not exist.
    At VM-Offline-Patching:13 char:13
    + 
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (\\SERVER NAME REMOVED\wsuscontent:String) [Get-ChildItem], 
    ItemNotFoundException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PathNotFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetChildItemCommand

The next errors are related to mounting and dismounting the windows images with DISM showing parameter not correct, but it doesn't show what is not correct:

Mount-WindowsImage : The parameter is incorrect.

At VM-Offline-Patching:13 char:13
    + 
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Mount-WindowsImage], PSArgumentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.MountWindowsImageCommand

Finally, to make sure at least the scripts themselves worked, I did try running all the powershell commands directly from the vmm server for a single VHD to see if they would work and everything seemed to run without issues and completed successfully, however when I created a new VM with the VHD I updated it still showed ~35 patches needed. So not sure why it didn't do anything or didnt completely update (forgot to check how many patches it needed before updating)

Any help or guidance anyone can provide is greatly appreciated.

Friday, April 17, 2015 1:40 AM