Robocopy used to migrate files shares seems to have overwritten existing data RRS feed

• Question

• We are migrating file shares from multiple servers to an EMC SAN (CIFS server).  The files were initially seeded using the command 

robocopy \\SERVER01\Scanned_Docs \\EMCNAS01\Scanned_Docs /E /W:1 /R:1 /V

pause

After the data was seeded the shares were presented to the end users & new data was created in the new destination (EMCNAS01).  Two weeks later, the same command was run & the newly created data is no longer available.  Can anyone confirm whether or not this script may have caused the data to be erased?

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:31 PM

Answers

• Sorry, I don't have an explanation for what you're seeing. The robocopy command you posted should not behave in that manner AFAIK. But that's not something we can answer for you in this forum.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by Jeff_Alme Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:32 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:26 PM

All replies

• Can anyone confirm whether or not this script may have caused the data to be erased?

This really isn't a scripting question, but you can easily answer this question yourself by looking at the robocopy documentation:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145.aspx

Your script uses the /E parameter, which means: "Copies subdirectories. Note that this option includes empty directories."

A quick look at the other parameters indicates that nothing your command is doing deletes any files.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:39 PM
  • I posted the question in this forum because I saw other Robocopy overwrite questions posted here when I performed a search.  I have that link as well; my question is the command doesn't include anything related to a time or date stamp, & I see other switches that do, such as /xct & /xn, or /xx to exclude extra files & directories.

It appears the files & folders on the destination were 'reset' to the source version, as opposed to just updating new files to the new destination, & newly created files were removed.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:57 PM
  • With only the /E switch, robocopy will copy files that don't already exist in destination, and it will also copy files in subdirectories (including empty subdirectories). I don't know what you mean by "'reset' to the source version". It sounds like you need to do some testing and validation.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:09 PM
  • I mean the files & folders were copied over to the new destination, & all was well.  The users accessed the shares, modified documents, added new documents & folders, etc.  The same command was then rerun, & all of the changes that were made since the original copy have been undone.  The new files/folders are gone.
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:19 PM
  • Sorry, I don't have an explanation for what you're seeing. The robocopy command you posted should not behave in that manner AFAIK. But that's not something we can answer for you in this forum.

• Marked as answer by Jeff_Alme Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:32 PM
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:26 PM
  • OK.  Thank you for your help.
    Thursday, April 24, 2014 3:31 PM
  • This would be a security/auditing issue, not a scripting issue.

Thursday, April 24, 2014 4:33 PM