Replace harddisk with a bigger one RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to replace my 160gig harddisk with a 320gig harddisk on my fujitsu laptop running xp sp3. Is it possible to transfer the exact contents of one disk to another without the need to re-install operating systems and programs etc.? 
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:09 PM

All replies

• If you can connect both hard drives simultaneously, you can use a 3rd party imaging application, such as Norton Ghost.
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".
    Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:17 PM
  • You don't need to connect both drives simultanously, but you will hav to have some intermediate medium to store the imagefile on. I would recommend a usb harddrive.

Then you can use the imaging tool you prefer to make a full disk image to file. You swap the disks and put the image file back from file to disk.

Microsoft provides imagex as part of the Windows deploympent toolkit. It allows you to make disk images from Windows xp systems. But there are many more or less similar applications available (ghost, acronis, ...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disk_imaging_software)

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP
    Sunday, August 7, 2011 12:05 AM