none
Unsharing resources RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to be a bit to clever ahead of my time and shared resources between two project files. My numbers are now behaving very oddly so I want to seperate them and sort that out before I attempt the same thing again. Im using project 2007 and not enterprise or anything. I can't find any way of un-sharing them. The only information I can find in forums refers to opening the resource pools but the only actions involving resource pool in my file is greyed out. Any advice? thanks.
    Monday, January 14, 2013 11:04 AM

Answers

• Purplemexx,

Did you try opening the Project MPP file without opening the shared resource file, then in the resource sharing menu box (I can't remember where it is in Project 2007), just say "use own resources".  I think that should work.

More important perhaps is why do you think that stoping sharing of resources will fix the "numbers behaving oddly" problem? 

If the resource is a single thing, e.g. "Tom" is "Tom" and you only have one person on your team named "Tom", sharing resources always works better since "Tom" will be considered in Project to be one person. If you separate "Tom" into 2 (or more projects), you actually make things much more complicated since each "Tom" will now be considered in your project plans as being different people.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Marked as answer by purplemexx Friday, March 1, 2013 11:36 AM
    Monday, January 14, 2013 11:52 AM

All replies

• Purplemexx,

Did you try opening the Project MPP file without opening the shared resource file, then in the resource sharing menu box (I can't remember where it is in Project 2007), just say "use own resources".  I think that should work.

More important perhaps is why do you think that stoping sharing of resources will fix the "numbers behaving oddly" problem? 

If the resource is a single thing, e.g. "Tom" is "Tom" and you only have one person on your team named "Tom", sharing resources always works better since "Tom" will be considered in Project to be one person. If you separate "Tom" into 2 (or more projects), you actually make things much more complicated since each "Tom" will now be considered in your project plans as being different people.

--rms www.rmschneider.com

• Marked as answer by purplemexx Friday, March 1, 2013 11:36 AM
    Monday, January 14, 2013 11:52 AM
  • my resource are a mixture- some are specific people, like "the boss" whereas other haven't been allocated but fall within a specific group eg. "manager", these would both be grouped in resource group of "management". Once resources were shared, I thought project was doing something clever like not letting the one person be in two places at one essentially.

As far as the numbers acting oddly- Its because Im trying to control too many variables- Had I started using "work" as well as "duration" from the start it would have been fine, but adding that in afterwards means there is already a % allocation figure after the resource which then affects the duration or work. I'm not actuall;y considering that % for this but I can't remove it or prevent it from affecting my plan without removing the resource, setting the start and finish and work, then re-assigning a resource- to do this for every task through my project files would take.... a while to say the least. My next attempt will be to set tasks as fixed work rather than fixed duration as this helped for editting an alternatic suite of files... It may just be a case of starting a new file when adding a new function rather than learnign and editting as I go.

Monday, January 14, 2013 3:35 PM
  • purplemexx,

You might find the following helpful in understanding Project's work equation and task types:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/training/the-3-pieces-of-the-scheduling-formula-RZ001077906.aspx?section=5

http://chriswoodill.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-use-microsoft-project-task-type.html

Hope this helps.

John

Monday, January 14, 2013 4:20 PM