Powershell Script to Suppress Email Alerts RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning,

I have been attempting to suppress a few email alerts that are set up via powershell scripting.  I am attempting to suppress the emails from 21:00 through 03:00.  During that time frame I do NOT want emails to be generated to anyone.  Here is the portion of my script that I have been using to try and achieve this:

# Using "IF" logic lines 29-32 suppresses alerts between
    $SuppressStart = "21"
    $SuppressEnd = "3"
    $now = (get-date).hour
    if ($now -gt $SuppressStart -lt $SuppressEnd){

I have tried a combination of -le and -ge.  At best I have only been able to suppress from 21:59 through 00:59.  It seems to work fine if Im within the same 24 hour day but I suspect the issue lies with the suppression occurring over 2 calendar days.  Please help!!

Thursday, June 18, 2015 4:02 PM

Answers

• You can find out yourself by testing using appropriate hour ranges in a separate sample script.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Friday, August 14, 2015 8:00 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:40 PM

All replies

• First of all, there's no need to set your "suppress" variables using strings. PowerShell can use numbers. You can remove the quotes.

Second, it looks like this:

if ($now -gt $SuppressStart -lt $SuppressEnd) {

Should be this:

if ( ($now.Hour -ge 21) -or ($now.Hour -le 3) ) {

Thursday, June 18, 2015 4:12 PM
  • Sorry, but I don't have the resources to reproduce your scenario and debug your code for you.

Start small and write a minimal script that contains only the absolute minimum amount of code to reproduce the problem. In this way you will be able to identify the problem on your own.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 2:20 PM
  • Are there any other variations of the following that you know of:

$SuppressStart = 21
    $SuppressEnd = 3
    $now = (get-date).hour
    if ( ($now.Hour -ge 21) -or ($now.Hour -le 3) ) {

This is the only part that does not work correctly.  Do you think -and will get me there instead of -or

Thanks

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:30 PM
  • You can find out yourself by testing using appropriate hour ranges in a separate sample script.

• Marked as answer by Bill_Stewart Friday, August 14, 2015 8:00 PM
    Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:40 PM