none
Blue Screen of Death and the disappearance of Cpu Cores - Windows 10 Pro RRS feed

• Question

• Seems like Microsoft's solution for a Bluescreen for my computer was to turn off 3 of my 4 cores of the cpu and my threads. I have Intel I7-4770k  - @3.5 ghz processer Socket 1150. I was getting a Blue Screen and during a time period this problem of the blue screen disappeared and so did my processors except for 1, so I take it that was Microsoft's fix, because I certainly didn't change this. I spent literally hours on the internet trying to find out where my processors disappeared to and came up with this: Open: Run; Type in msconfig; Go to Boot Tab, then deselect the box, the box that has incorrect number of processors. restart computer. On restarting computer I got the Blue Screen back again so Windows 10 is not working properly with this processor! The fix Microsoft gave by only recognizing one processor and not 4 cores is taking literally a $2,000 dollar computer and making it into $400 or so computer that doesn't run properly. The fix is not a fix - and Microsoft needs to fix this properly!.

Go to Task Manager - Performance and you will see your cores are back with the Logical Processors. Microsoft needs to fix this issue properly and the Blue Screen issue.
    Wednesday, September 27, 2017 7:56 PM

All replies

• This may be a BIOS problem on your computer. The event log may contain useful information. The "blue screen" also tells some details about the reason. Here is a suitable forum for this issue.

-- pa

Thursday, September 28, 2017 12:34 PM
  • why do you think its a bios problem. There is a bios update for the motherboard and chipset update for board but no update for the processor. I believe personally that Microsoft isn't supporting the "K" version of this cpu. I would like to hear directly from Microsoft concerning this and I am not about to pay for it when I did the upgrade the advisor said there is no issue with hardware and cpu. I would also like to know how the cpu was changed in Windows 10 to only recognize 1 cpu and not all the cores. I never changed it....
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 4:54 PM
  • why do you think its a bios problem.

Because things happen. Correct working of a multicore system depends on the BIOS, especially how it configures the RAM... If the CPU is something very new, as you say, the BIOS may lack specific code to support it.

I would also like to know how the cpu was changed in Windows 10 to only recognize 1 cpu and not all the cores.

This may be a "defensive" reaction of Windows when dealing with the misconfigured system. Microsoft assumes that a user would prefer running on one CPU rather than a bricked machine.

-- pa

Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:04 PM
  • Got fed up and downloaded Windows again and did a clean install and all the problems disappeared this solution took hours of my time but it worked. I don't know how the things got changed on this computer if its an update or what but it is totally frustrating to deal with this stuff when all one does is surf the net.

My programs are back in without issue and computer is running the way it should be - flying...

It is a great thing when all is running the way it should be...

Monday, October 9, 2017 4:29 PM
  • it is totally frustrating to deal with this stuff when all one does is surf the net

That's why Google invented the chromebook :)

-- pa

Monday, October 9, 2017 7:41 PM