Changing ISP while using Exchange 2010 causing me grief! RRS feed

• Question

• My company recently changed ISP. We went from having static IP to DHCP, I think. Now our Exchange server 2010 does nothing outside of our domain ( by domain, I mean within our office network)

I need help resolving this, PLEASE?

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Using onsite Exchange with a dynamically assigned IP address is not optimal but can work:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/ebb2de56-6084-4d7e-b8af-45ea9abbb92c

Don't hesitate with follow-up questions.

This can work... with a little work.

Looks like you might need to move quickly though?

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

• Proposed as answer by Fiona_Liao Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:23 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fiona_Liao Tuesday, December 4, 2012 8:23 AM
    Monday, November 26, 2012 7:25 PM
  • I was really hoping for a simple flip of a toggle. The only thing that changed here was our ISP. We have our own email host / server and that wasn't touched at all. We switched from windstream to comcast. Now this. I am not as savy as I once was.
    Monday, November 26, 2012 9:39 PM
  • I have actually done this before by utilising Dynamic DNS.

Check to see if your router supports it, if so then setting this up will solve your problem!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_DNS

Monday, November 26, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Unfortunately, I don't think there is a toggle solution if you have no more static IP address.

This is a problem that can be resolved in a day or so.

1. Do you have a registered domain name, like microsoft.com or ibm.com or facebook.com?

2. Do you know where to go to adjust DNS records for this domain?

3. If yes, for 1. and 2., you can (using the No-IP option) designate No-IP's name servers as the name servers for your domain.

Note: this is the way I did it, I don't work for No-IP and was actually going to opt for another solution before I was convinced by a colleague that the downloaded app that updates your dynamically assigned (and changing) IP address was easier to set up than Dynamic DNS on your router (assuming your router supports it).

4. You sign up for No-IPs services and indicate your domain name. Call their tech support if you need to.

You'll probably want to do 4. before 3. so they can tell you what their name servers are.

That could get you "up and running" rather quickly.

Other option: pay what you need to for a static IP address. I'm sure comcast has some IPv4 left... if you're willing to pay the monthly cost.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Monday, November 26, 2012 10:20 PM
  • I am currently on Comcast like a duck on a June bug for this Static IP. Once I get this, and plug it into my router, will all my troubles go away? Will I have to plug in some IP adresses into MS Exchange 2010 or re-configure something to make it all work like normal again?
    Monday, November 26, 2012 10:47 PM
  • You'll have to adjust MX and A records so that:

1. Incoming mail (STMP traffic) is now directed to your new IP address - the static IP address that comcast will assign you - it might be a range of static IPs (you just pick one).

2. Clients using OWA and Outlook Anywhere (if applicable) can access their mail from the web.

You have to do this wherever you manage your DNS records. Hopefully, you know or can find out where that is.

It could be with a registrar like Network Solutions or GoDaddy.

Now to what device do you assign the static IP address?

Previously how did this work for you?

Did you have the static IP assigned to the external interface of your firewall (and then used something called 1 to 1 NAT to relay the traffic to your mail server?

Otherwise, on the Exchange server, you should - probably - not have to change anything on the Receive Connector. Is it currently set up to receive "anonymous" connections?

Send Connector might be a different story. Did you just send using DNS or with a "Smart Host"?

If DNS settings: should not need to change anything.

If Smart Host: may need to change (if Smart Host was a former ISP Smart Host)

IF... any of the above sounds like gibberish, just ask for clarification.

I - or someone else - can point out where you can find all this in Exchange.

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:09 PM
  • I'm not sure how savvy you are with Exchange 2010 so just in case you're not sure where to find the Send and Recieve Connectors, the link below will show you.

NOW... this is about setting up Exchange with a company you are not using so don't take any of this literally. That's NOT - NOT - NOT the way you want to configure your Exchange server but it will show you where to find the necessary connectors. By clicking on their properties, you'll be able to see your current configuration.

http://www.servolutions.com/support/config_exchange_2010.htm#section5

Not all information detailed in the link applies to you (if Exchange worked before, your "Accepted Domains" are most likely correct and do not need to be changed. You do not need to worry abut POP3 with the company in the example because... you are not using POP3 (at least not with them).

Was the first link I could find - might be a better one out there but tought you might need to move quickly and know where to go in Exchange and thought that coudl be helpful.

Monday, November 26, 2012 11:30 PM
  • Hi,

Any updates? If your question is answered it would be nice if you mark it accordingly. Thanks,

Fiona Liao
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 29, 2012 9:53 AM