VISTA Media Player 11 freezes every single time I start it, Microsoft says it's part of the operating system??? RRS feed

• Question

• Using Vista Beta 2, my Media Player freezes every single time I start it. Says not responding and won't let me uninstall to re-install either. How can I fix it?

This Media Player comes as part of Vista and will not allow access to change it. In addition to that Microsoft says it's part of the operating system and won't allow re-install.

This is not the Media Player 11 that you can downlod directly online. This animal comes as part of VISTA

PLEASE HELP

Thursday, July 27, 2006 12:46 PM

Answers

• Removing folders i set media player to monitor.. solved the freezing problem for me
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:00 AM

All replies

• I'm noticing the same thing. Build 5456 and 5472 both had this problem
    Friday, July 28, 2006 3:00 PM
  • I'm having problems with WMP 11 as well. I can't seem to uninstall the programs or roll back to an old version of WMP. I've already tried going into the add/remove option to uninstall, but when it starts to uninstall it freezes. Need Help? Any advice?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 4:11 PM
  • This does not work for the media player that comes with VISTA, don't confuse the two players. They both have media player 11 as names but my problem comes as part of the operating system.
    Tuesday, August 15, 2006 2:08 PM
  • My thoughts exactly...

There has to be more people experiencing this same exact issue since it is regarding the BUILT IN media player 11 that comes with every build since Beta 2.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 2:12 PM
  • Finally someone that understands what I've been asking about. If you solve it please let all of us know ASAP. Re-installing the operating system seems rediculous.
    Tuesday, August 15, 2006 2:15 PM
  • I've got the same problem. I can actually get it to operate on occasion by trying to play a file directly from explorer.

Also, if you put a cd in and let it begin ripping (it should freeze), then right click on its button in the taskbar, and keep right clicking, it will actually rip! (2000 right clicks later, and you'll have ripped the whole cd) Funny.

WMP11 was working beautifully though until today. Don't know what changed.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 9:59 AM
  • I guess I'm largely just agreeing with the growing consensus, that there is a problem with the WMP that is built into Vista. I'm using build 5384 of Vista and immediately after installing it I found WMP worked and I started to scan my music library but since then it freezes every time i start it.

Ken
    Saturday, August 19, 2006 10:17 AM
  • I'm having exactly the same problem.  Actually on every reboot, wmplayer comes up, hogs my system until I manually end the process.  It will not start without freezing, and will not play any media from any browser.
    Thursday, August 31, 2006 5:11 PM
  • FIXED!!!!

I had installed URGE -- URGE apparently uses the Windows Mobile Device connectivity to upload/download to devices, and that driver had been disabled (by me, since I didn't think I needed it.)  I set it back up to 'manual' and now Media Player is working.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 5:26 PM
  • I do not have urge and media freezes on me as well. I cannot get it started and cannot shut it down. I also cannot start it from a file. I am using a different player until a fix is found.
    Monday, September 4, 2006 9:47 PM
  • in build 5384 taht i have its work great !!

try to update ur WinVista...!! maybe will this problem solve!!

Tuesday, September 5, 2006 8:44 PM
  •  

It is a Windows component and you can uncheck it under Programs. This doesn't actually uninstall it, afaik, but disables it. I had a similar problem in b5536 and I unchecked, rebooted then re-checked it and rebooted again. That fixed it. I've had no problems with RC1 though.

Thursday, September 7, 2006 1:12 PM
  • Right click the shortcut, run as administrator.
    Monday, February 12, 2007 9:21 PM
  • I'm no computer geek so bear with me...

I had the same problem on a brand new PC with Vista Home Premium O/S whenever I wanted to open streaming audio from the internet.

After numerous calls to PC manufacturer without any joy I finally got Media Player to open without freezing when clicking on "play now" internet links. This  is how...

I found an MP3 file that was already on my computer. Right clicked the file. In the context menu  I chose "set default program." Double-clicked on Windwos Media Player option. Clicked OK.

After this I found that all my media issues on the internet cleared up.

Hope this helps.

Tony

Thursday, April 5, 2007 10:10 PM
  • Removing folders i set media player to monitor.. solved the freezing problem for me
    Tuesday, July 10, 2007 6:00 AM
  • Hi All,

Am facing different Media player problem in Vista. As soon as I start my media player the error message I am receving is media player stopped working. in deatails it say s appcrash. How can I fix this. please help me to fix the same....

Thanks,

Ninge
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 6:35 AM
  • Anonymousxm,

Can you further explain what you did ?

Was your problem similar to mine - being  . . .
    It seems WMP loads itself automatically at Boot time, but when you go
    to open a media file (eg. click on an MP3 or wmv file ),  nothing happens.

But if one goes to Task Manager and kills WMP,  then any subsequent click on an MP3
    or wmv file works fine   . . .

Comments welcomed,
    daveb..
    Monday, July 23, 2007 11:10 PM
  • Hello, I am not exactly replying to your particular problem because mine is different, but this is the first time I have tried the forum thingey so if someone out there can answer my problem, that would be great.

My WMP11 in Vista plays music okay, until each track nears the end. Then I get interruptions in the track momentarily until it rights istels and finishes playing. This happens on every single track in my player - of which there are about 9,000. When I use WMP11 to burn a disc, it also burns the corruption.

I have downloaded the latest free Real Player and also a small jukebox player today. They both play the tracks perfectly, without the corruption at the end. Anyone got any clues?

WMP11 also freezes a lot and I have to go to Task Manager to turn it off. I have plenty of memory and hard drive space left by the way.

Thanks, Vicki

Thursday, September 20, 2007 1:43 AM
  •  

Hey Vicki

I am getting the same issues with wmp11  Have you made any headway with this problem??

Thursday, December 6, 2007 3:43 PM
  • I had this problem in xp. I fixed it myself, so am offering the post i made to CNET and TECHSUPPORTGUY web formus.

RESOLVED IN XP+ POSSIBLY SIMILIAR ISSUE IN VISTA??

Maybe someone is willing to try and translate into Vista?? if succesful

How I fixed:Media player 11. On XP. Apparently freezes on start. After long delay opens into Library.
    Upgrade from 9 - 11 seems to have left some library files behing. This causes a read delay, untill the player has chosen which versions to use as the default.

1st part

Make your xp system show "all files and folder"
    For the novice-
    Double click "my computer"
    Click "Tools/Folder options"
    Click "view"
    Now click in the little circle next to the line.
    "show hidden files and folder"
    click "apply"
    Now close all windows from the desktop.

2nd part

Double click "my Computer"
    ------"-----"C:" drive
    ------"-----"Documents and settings"
    ------"-----"your user name folder"
    ------"-----"Application Data"
    ------"-----"Microsoft"
    ------"-----"Media Player"

I then selected all the files in there and deleted them.
    I then did the "1st part" in reverse, to "re-hide" the system files.

Rebooted the pc. And presto! Started Media player 11, no lag or delay. I think its worth noting that i have my player set not to look on the internet for updates etc

Open Media player
    Click : Tools/options/Library (everything unchecked and "apply")

And also on the same screen.

"Privacy settings" (everything unchecked and "apply")

Im not saying this is the correct fix for your Media Player 11 running on XP. But its sure worked for me. I had this problem before, so i uninstlled 11. When SP3 was released I thought hey would have sussed this one. It seems not. I got my clue from a "Skype tech support guy" when i was having problem with the application. He told me to do similiar for that app because of an "i.d" problem. When you delete the file and restart the prog, a new library  I.D. file gets written. Eliminating any file I.D confusion.

Well. Hope this was worth the time writing for someone. Remember to back up any mucic+photos in your libraries. You should do this anyway. Let us know if this works for you.

regards all

jb

Wednesday, July 2, 2008 1:51 PM
  • First of all, I am very sorry for reviving this long forgotten thread, but I just couldn't resist doing it. I stumbled upon this one through a google search, and I just had to bring this to your attention:

The very same thing that has been described here has started happening on my machine... wait for it...

Running retail Windows 7 and Media Player 12.

It would seem that this has either gone unnoticed, or has been ignored by Microsoft.

It is quite a hindrance, to be honest. I always considered WMP 12 to be my favourite media player, and now I'm better off using something like the ugly vlc, since WMP 12 has over time, started to freeze up and run really slow. On a very fast, quite expensive machine I might add.

Monday, August 23, 2010 12:32 PM
  • I tried the mr. fix it and diagnostic, it works and then doesn't work again. there is file corruption or bug in the software. Either some program like real player or divx corrupted the windows kernal and associated the files

Now after rebooting and shutting down computer, the windows media is now no longer opening AGAIN.

So it's intermedittanly not working.

The problem started after installing DIVX player and real player upgrades.

It's software conflict issue or some program has disabled windows media player from opening.

current status ===no solution

It's microsoft problem. i just wasted 1 hour of my time reading b.s. solutions like going to fix registries etc.

Microsoft has billions and lots of phd. programmers working for them, either they don't want to fix it or some virus or something installed.
    lots of spyware in real player, media player, DIVX palyer all adverising etc. all your videos you see is sent back to the server. no privacy corporate america GREED.

microsoft has no intention of fixing this BUG.
    I use free open source media viewers like VLC

http://vlcmediaplayerfreedownload.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_player_software

there are now companies who put viruses in your computer and charget you money to remove the virus scams going on.

these are free software and has no spyware or trojans or viruses that corporate versions..only microsoft would NOT fix a bug like this. microsoft has bilions of PROFITS and cannot afford to fix simple bug like this. media player is essential part o the operating system and they want people to pay for it.? Corporate GREED is the reason for the bugs

Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:05 PM