none
"Change would modify work entered by a team member" message on every publish RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Project Pro 2013 and Project Server 2013 with March 2017 CU and all of a sudden, when opening a project in Project Professional and publishing, we get the error message "Change would modify work entered by a team member. We can't make that change because Project Web App is set to only allow actual work to be entered by team members through Timesheets or My Work." We have made no changes or updates to our environment recently. If I go to PWA to publish, it will publish successfully with no error messages.  

This is happening to every project across multiple users, regardless of what changes are being made. For example, if a user opens a project and makes no changes and hits publish, the error will pop up, though it still processes through the Project Server queue and publishes successfully. 

We know that we can't try to modify work for team members because we have them enter everything through timesheets. So why is that error message popping up for all projects, when you wouldn't expect it? simply publishing a project with no changes shouldn't prompt this message.

Has anyone else seen this issue/have any ideas to resolve? 

• Edited by samerei Friday, July 21, 2017 8:09 PM
    Friday, July 21, 2017 8:08 PM

Answers

• Hello Samerei, we are facing the same issue. However, it is not blocking the publish process. Solely the message pops-up. Seems like this came with one of the latest client updates. Please open a ticket at Microsoft.

Best regards,

Julian, PMP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE

Blog: https://project-brain.com

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, July 31, 2017 6:50 AM
  • samerei --

I can confirm I am seeing this behavior in our Project Online tenant.  And I can confirm it is not a blocking issue.  Though not confirmed officially by Microsoft, I strongly suspect this is a bug.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, July 31, 2017 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hello Samerei, we are facing the same issue. However, it is not blocking the publish process. Solely the message pops-up. Seems like this came with one of the latest client updates. Please open a ticket at Microsoft.

Best regards,

Julian, PMP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE

Blog: https://project-brain.com

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Monday, July 31, 2017 6:50 AM
  • samerei --

I can confirm I am seeing this behavior in our Project Online tenant.  And I can confirm it is not a blocking issue.  Though not confirmed officially by Microsoft, I strongly suspect this is a bug.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, July 31, 2017 3:53 PM
  • Hi Dale,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

We have also noticed this issue in July 2017 Patch for Project 2013 (Pro and Server). Could you please let us know , on which patch version you are currently in.

The annoying popup doesnt cause any data issues, and once you click on 'OK' it goes ahead with the Publish Queue jobs.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 5:12 AM
  • Rishi --

I am on Build 8326.2070 Click to Run.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, August 10, 2017 1:35 PM
  • I had opened a ticket with MS for my organization and got confirmation that it is a bug with the July 2017 KB for Project Pro 2013. 

To confirm what others have said, it doesn't block any publishing jobs, just results in a lot of open tickets! We ended up uninstalling the KB to avoid too many open support tickets for our admin group. 

Thanks!

Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:05 PM
  • We are seeing this error message as well following our move from Project Server 2010 to Project Online.  It is an annoyance, but does not prevent users from publishing.

But we are also seeing other behavior that is eliciting this error message.  In Project's Resource Usage view, when a plan owner adjusts the planned work in the timegrid (a practice our Project Managers do weekly), typically to set planned work equal to actual work, they now receive that message.  They are not attempting to adjust the actual work for the period, just acknowledging that this should now be the planned work and adjust the work in future time periods as needed.  Our only workaround is to change the timegrid to Daily, where is can be adjusted.

With the same timesheet settings as in Project Server, users could make these changes without issue.

Has anyone else seen this issue or have ideas on how to resolve?

Monday, October 2, 2017 7:25 PM