none
DPM 2012 R2 problems with backup Virtual Machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

I have a Windows 2012 R2 cluster with 3 Nodes and im testing DPM 2012 R2 backups. I have some serious problems with the backup creation . I see that after the backup of a virtual machine , a merge is starting . This merging take about 3-6 minutes and this time the VM is unresponsive . I can ping the VM but if you are inside the vm nothing works. Is this normal behavior ? The Virtual Machines i have test are all windows 2012 R2 with latest integration services .

Also i see that the Uptime of the VM resets everytime a backup starts. Inside DPM i see that the backup process is online.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 18, 2013 5:14 PM

All replies

• Have you looked at this new requirement for Windows 2012 R2 boxes? Is this setup already?

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0c3db06f-14e8-402a-b525-fefc86b65af1/cannot-online-backup-some-vms?forum=dpmhypervbackup

Make sure your Guest VM has a SCSI adapter configured.

Is the guest operating system R2 too? When the VM is unresponsive do you see that the VM or Host is under resource crunch? Is dynamic memory enabled?

Please throw some light on the machine configuration too.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 3:20 AM
  • Hello and thanks for your reply ,

I have test also VM's with windows 2008R2 and integration services installed but i have the same problem .

When the vm is unresponsive the resources are OK .No CPU Spikes or High memory. Dynamic memory is disabled.

The machine configurations is very simple. OS Windows 2008R2 , IDE hard disk thin provision , 1 Virtual Adapter, Integration Services installed.

Thanks

Friday, January 3, 2014 7:32 PM