Looking for emails from defunct account RRS feed

• Question

• I had Windows Live Email on Windows 7 Home Premium. Along with my still functional @hotmail.com account, I was also using it to access a non-hotmail account. In the last year, I decided to discontinue the web hosting service associated to that account, but retained all the emails on my computer. These were always available to review on WLE. Since updating to Windows 10 on the same system, I wonder how to access these emails again.
    Tuesday, March 29, 2016 4:07 PM

Answers

• Well if you do not install Window Live Email on Windows 10 (I have seen posts of that working) then it is a case of locating the files that are the email and finding and program that can open \ view them. Looking at Where are the Windows LIve Mail files saved? the location of the files would appear to be

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

I do not have Windows Live Mail or any old email to test but looking this page How to Open EML Files gives some advice on the opening the EML, email, files, that Windows Live Mail uses.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 11:46 PM
  • Hi,

Just as Mr. Happy said, at first you need to install an email program to view those saved emails(if they still exists). Get the free Windows Live Mail from here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/essentials

If you don’t delete anything during upgrade, please type *.eml in the search bar, then you would see many file with the .eml extension, right click on one file and pick open file location. These .eml files are your saved emails, view them by your familiar Windows Live Mail.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:42 AM

All replies

• Well if you do not install Window Live Email on Windows 10 (I have seen posts of that working) then it is a case of locating the files that are the email and finding and program that can open \ view them. Looking at Where are the Windows LIve Mail files saved? the location of the files would appear to be

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

I do not have Windows Live Mail or any old email to test but looking this page How to Open EML Files gives some advice on the opening the EML, email, files, that Windows Live Mail uses.

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 11:46 PM
  • Hi,

Just as Mr. Happy said, at first you need to install an email program to view those saved emails(if they still exists). Get the free Windows Live Mail from here.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/essentials

If you don’t delete anything during upgrade, please type *.eml in the search bar, then you would see many file with the .eml extension, right click on one file and pick open file location. These .eml files are your saved emails, view them by your familiar Windows Live Mail.

Hope my clarification is clear.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 6:42 AM