none
Windows Update Hangs, Windows Update Troubleshooter Reports Error 0x80070057 Not Fixed

Question

• I am using Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1.

Windows Update has lost my update history and hangs when I tell it to check for updates. Windows Update Troubleshooter reports "Windows Update error 0x80070057(2016-07-15-T-12_59_34P) Not Fixed". How can I get Windows Update working again?

Here is a detailed account of the problem:

Earlier today, I ran Windows Update and told it to install 15 important updates. It said it was downloading them, but stalled for 30 minutes at 0% done.

I rebooted my computer and re-ran Windows Update. It reported that there were no pending important updates. I clicked "View update history" and saw that the most recent 15 important updates had failed. I clicked "Check for Updates" and, when it finished checking, Windows Update continued to report that there were no pending important updates.

At that point, I concluded that something was wrong with Windows Update. In an attempt to fix it, I downloaded and ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter (WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab). It reported one problem found: "Windows Update error 0x80070057(2016-07-15-T-12_59_34P) Not Fixed".

After running Windows Update Troubleshooter, I re-ran Windows Update. It reported that my most recent check for updates was "Never", and that updates were installed "Never". When I clicked "View update history" I saw an empty list. When I clicked "Check for updates", the application stalled at "Checking for updates...".

I have re-booted, re-run Windows Update Troubleshooter, and re-run Windows Update at least twice more. Windows Update Troubleshooter continues to report "Windows Update error 0x80070057" and Windows Update continues to show no update history and to hang on "Checking for updates...".

Friday, July 15, 2016 9:02 PM

Answers

• I am happy to report that Windows Update is working again. The solution came from a colleague at work, who did a web search and found a recommendation to apply the "June 2016 update rollup", available here:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608

From that site, I downloaded Windows6.1-KB3161608-x64.msu. When I ran that, it installed Hotfix 3161608. After installing the hotfix, I rebooted my computer and tried Windows Update again. It works now. I have lost my update history, but I've had no trouble downloading and installing all the recent updates I wasn't able to install before.

Monday, July 18, 2016 10:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, we may try turning it on in safe mode and clean boot with networking first, then try restart the update.

The DISM or System Update Readiness tool may be a good idea, please try it.

Fix Windows Update errors by using the DISM or System Update Readiness tool:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/kb/947821

Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

We may also try to reset windows update components to narrow down the issue.

How do I reset Windows Update components?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

In addition, I also found several users who had the similar issue as yours, they gave the advice may help you, please refer to the link:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/dc05266d-d80b-4817-988e-08005e3bb552/windows-update-0x80070057?forum=WinPreview2014Setup

Best Regards,

Tao

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, July 18, 2016 9:36 AM
  • Tao,

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, nothing has worked so far. This is what I've done:

You suggested I try running Windows Update in safe mode with networking. I tried that, but Windows Update will not run in safe mode. When I launch it, nothing happens.

You suggested I try "The DISM or System Update Readiness tool". I followed the link provided and downloaded Windows6.1-KB947821-v34-x64.msu. When I run that program, I get inconsistent results.

• Sometimes, it says "Searching for updates on this computer..." and displays a marquee progress bar, but never seems to do anything. (I let it run for about 15 minutes before giving up.) When this happens, the Cancel button does not work, and I must use Task Manager to shut it down.
    • At other times, it prompts me to install the Windows Hotfix KB947821. That seems to work properly and the tool reports that the installation is complete. However, that hotfix doesn't seem to provide any benefit, and if I run the Update Readiness Tool again later, I may be prompted to install the same hotfix again.

You also suggested I run the System File Checker. I followed the instructions and ran sfc /scannow. It seemed to work properly and reported that "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them". In the log file it generated, I found several entries like this:

• 2016-07-18 10:41:45, Info                  CSI    00000376 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_igdlh.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_f3e7064ea3c09a9a\igdkmd64.sys do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"igdkmd64.sys" :  Found: {l:32 b:47DEQpj8HBSa+/TImW+5JCeuQeRkm5NMpJWZG3hSuFU=} Expected: {l:32 b:jeSKihOjKqrFTN31jz9hvj4oAsHZyhypjlfrDWX7YAI=}
      2016-07-18 10:41:45, Info                  CSI    00000377 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"igdkmd64.sys" of igdlh.inf, Version = 6.1.7600.16385, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

You suggested I "reset windows update components to narrow down the issue". The link you provided leads to WindowsUpdateDiagnostic.diagcab, which I ran earlier with no success. In the hope that something has changed, I ran it again, but achieved the same result. It seems to run properly, then reports one problem found:

• Windows Update error 0x80070057(2016-07-18-T-12_05_11P) Not fixed

You also posted a link to a forum post where several people have commented on similar Windows Update problems. I haven't had time to parse that forum yet, but when I do have time, I'll see if I can find any actionable advice there. If anything works, I'll report back.

Monday, July 18, 2016 7:49 PM
  • I am happy to report that Windows Update is working again. The solution came from a colleague at work, who did a web search and found a recommendation to apply the "June 2016 update rollup", available here:

support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3161608

From that site, I downloaded Windows6.1-KB3161608-x64.msu. When I ran that, it installed Hotfix 3161608. After installing the hotfix, I rebooted my computer and tried Windows Update again. It works now. I have lost my update history, but I've had no trouble downloading and installing all the recent updates I wasn't able to install before.

Monday, July 18, 2016 10:24 PM
  • Glad to see you have solved the problem, your advice will be very helpful to us, you can mark the reply and close the case:)

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:18 AM