Capturing multiple image version with MDT2012 - Do I need to rebuild the reference computer each time? RRS feed

• Question

• So I've used MDT2012 to capture my reference images and it works very well. One requirement I have is to create separate images with only slight differences between each other. After I run my task sequence to capture the image, can I simply restart the reference workstation back into windows, make additional changes and run the capture task sequence again? Or will I need to completely rebuild/reinstall my reference workstation?
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:02 PM

All replies

• Assuming you are using the "Sysprep and Capture" Task Sequence the answer is "not really".  This is because when you run Sysprep and create the WIM, you generalize the machine.  So after the capture is done, it will want to run through OOBE again.  You could just answer the OOBE, make your config change, and run it again, but I wouldn't suggest it.

Instead, I'd do your reference image in a Virtual Machine and snapshot it before running your "Sysprep and Capture".  Then after you've captured it, you can revert it to "before", make changes, and run a different capture.  And repeat as necessary if all your images are only slightly different.  Although, if they are that slight in difference, I'd question why not just have a single image and manage the differences in the Deploy Task Sequence(s), but that's me. : )

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

• Proposed as answer by Frank TroutMVP Saturday, August 10, 2013 3:11 PM
    Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Yes I am using Sysprep and Capture. I have noticed that even after successfully capturing the image and rebooting it does not take my back to any OOBE wizards but back to the Administrator login prompt.

I will probably go the snapshot route. And yes, I try to make most changes in the TS or software deployments.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 11:03 PM