none
Custom Start Menu Layout on Windows10 1809 not working for all machines RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I created a start layout design for Windows 10 1809 version.After working for couple of days I noticed only IE shortcut on start menu no longer working for some of the machines.Please can some one suggest as this is very disturbing.

Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:13 PM

All replies

• I am using below

<start:DesktopApplicationTile Size="2x2" Column="0" Row="0" DesktopApplicationLinkPath="%APPDATA%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Internet Explorer.lnk" />

• Edited by Imranash Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:29 PM
    Tuesday, July 16, 2019 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

Kindly test two methods to specify the IE:

1. Recreate the shortcut and .lnk file for IE and replace the original one, then specify the IE by DesktopApplicationLinkPath

2. Check and specify by the DesktopApplicationID

Reference link: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/start-layout-xml-desktop#specify-start-tiles

Thanks,

Jenny

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update? Please feel free to let us know if more assistance needed.

Have a nice day.

Thanks,

Jenny

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 19, 2019 6:15 AM
  • Hi

Thanks for your guidance did try both but still same issue

some machines picked up IE shortcut some won't really feel frustrated now.Please help me out

Regards

Friday, July 19, 2019 8:21 AM
  • Hi,

I did search further but failed find if anything missing according to your steps. According to below article, when it came to IE shortcut, two parts involved:

1. create .ink file in the folder \ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories

2. Update the info of the customized xml as well by replacing with DesktopApplicationLinkPath, which is the same as you listed above.

https://ccmexec.com/2015/09/customizing-the-windows-10-start-menu-and-add-ie-shortcut-during-osd/

Note: Since the websites are not hosted by Microsoft, the links may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Kindly check above link and ensure nothing was missed.

Last but not least, you may try to collect process monitor logs between working and problematic computers and compare to see if anything unusual.

Thanks,

Jenny

Monday, July 22, 2019 7:16 AM