Set metadata on document saved from network location RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a user that has to save emails to a library in SharePoint. This library has some costum columns and some of them must be filled. This user has created a network location on his computer that points to this library. When he gets an email that he has to put it in this library, he uses the Save As and then picks the network location for this library. The file gets saved in the library and it is checked out because some columns must contain the infomation and until this columns aren't filled, the file is checked out. Now here is the problem. This users claims that when he did the upper steps and clicked Save that the window for all the columns appeared and that he could filled them out and so the document wasn't checked out and it wasn't necessary to go to the sharepoint and set the properties. Now suddenly this isn't possible anymore. So is this really possible to upload file to library from location that isn't sharepoint and also set the properties? I tried it and it only worked for the word file not the .msg file.

Sandra

Sandra Ratis

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:00 PM

Answers

• It is not possible without a third party tool. Office client applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) have integration with SharePoint and therefore allow you to fill in metadata, but not Outlook.

You must do it using the SharePoint interfaces or a third party tool.

If the metadata for this kind of upload is always the same, you could use Default values to do it, otherwise, there is no alternative OOTB.

Cheers

Alex Ferreira http://sharepointsofview.blogspot.com/

• Proposed as answer by Ferreira, Alex Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sandra Ratis Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:26 AM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:09 PM

All replies

• It is not possible without a third party tool. Office client applications (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) have integration with SharePoint and therefore allow you to fill in metadata, but not Outlook.

You must do it using the SharePoint interfaces or a third party tool.

If the metadata for this kind of upload is always the same, you could use Default values to do it, otherwise, there is no alternative OOTB.

Cheers

• Proposed as answer by Ferreira, Alex Tuesday, February 28, 2012 6:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by Sandra Ratis Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:26 AM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Also, if you are considering a third party tool, you may see Colligo Email Manager or Harmon.ie (there are other tools, I am sure).

I believe Harmon has a free version, up to 250 users, you may give it a shot.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:25 PM
  • I tried the harmon.ie and it is exactly what we need. Thank you!

Sandra

Sandra Ratis

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 10:26 AM