Microsoft Office 20010 Deployment Toolkit breaks licensing for currently installed Office Products RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Optiplex 980 PCs all running windows 7 32 bit.

I have installed Project 2010 and Visio 2010 using an MSDNA licence key. (We are an education institution)
    When I launch Visio or Project for the first time I am asked to activate it. (This happens once per PC, so the first user that logs into the PC and launces Visio, or Project, has to activate it, and any subsequent users can just launch it without needing to re-activate).

We have now decided to offer Office 2010 to all users as an App-v sequenced package.
    Office 2010 is licenced via KMS in our organisation
    Before this will work we need to install Microsoft Office 2010 Deployment toolkit on all the PCs.

PROBLEM:
    The moment you install Microsoft Office 2010 Deployment toolkit you can no longer activate Visio and Project 2010 that are locally installed.

You get an error "unspecified error".

I think that the deployment toolkit somehow takes over the licensing for Virtual Office 2010 and locally installed Visio and Project which is why I can no longer activate these.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 9:11 PM

Answers

• Sorry, I was meant to say MSDNAA (academic licensing).

We remotely fixed all the licensing problems on all the PCs by using a VAMT (can be downloaded from microsoft downloads).....awsome tool!!!

• Marked as answer by balkanman Friday, December 10, 2010 4:22 AM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 4:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Not really sure, but I don't think MSDN keys are meant to be distributed through an environment, but only used in instances where you are evaluating a software.

To actually use them you would probably need a MAK or utilize a KMS-host.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:20 PM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 4:53 AM
  • Sorry, I was meant to say MSDNAA (academic licensing).

We remotely fixed all the licensing problems on all the PCs by using a VAMT (can be downloaded from microsoft downloads).....awsome tool!!!

• Marked as answer by balkanman Friday, December 10, 2010 4:22 AM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 4:22 AM