UK dictionary + Adding extra .dic in OCT RRS feed

• Question

• UK dictionary seems to have some glaring ommissions from it's contents. Simple words such as Percent, Spreadsheets and Ongoing are coming up as unrecognised, but all are fine on Office 2003 UK dictionary. They also are fine in 2010 US dictionary.

1. Are updates to the dictionaries available, or even released later in updates / service packs?

2. Can we set more than 1 language to be spell-checked? If both UK and US were checked, it would be an easy workround, and probably agreeable to our staff.

3. If 2 isn't an option, we could make a custom.dic file with some of out most needed entries in. I can't see a way within Office Customisation Tool to add one. Is this possible with OCT? Adding manually isn't an option as this is a company wide rollout via SCCM.

4. If 3 is possible, is there any way of extracting the 2003 UK dictionary to add to a custom.dic?

• Moved by Tarak Ch - MSFT Monday, September 27, 2010 6:25 PM (From:Office 2010 Setup and Deployment)
    Friday, September 24, 2010 3:54 PM

Answers

• I'm assuming you're having the issue in Office 2010. I can't tell from your post. See answers inline with questions

1. Are updates to the dictionaries available, or even released later in updates / service packs?

Yes, but I don't think there's anything that will address this issue. We come out with proofing updates in both Cumulative Updates every other month and Service Packs. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953878 for more info on Cumulative Updates. The current Office 2010 updates for August 2010 are here at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2396341. There's not a proofing update for this one but the update package would look something like "Proof-en-us.msp", for example http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028573.

2. Can we set more than 1 language to be spell-checked? If both UK and US were checked, it would be an easy workround, and probably agreeable to our staff.

No, you can only have one language marked per text range (e.g. sentence) as set in Review > Language > Set Proofing Language...

3. If 2 isn't an option, we could make a custom.dic file with some of out most needed entries in. I can't see a way within Office Customisation Tool to add one. Is this possible with OCT? Adding manually isn't an option as this is a company wide rollout via SCCM.

There's not an option in customize settings for OCT or group policy (ADM) but you could do various ways depending on the way your employees use Word and custom dictionaries.

Here's several options you could try:

1. If you don't mind blowing away their Custom.dic you could copy a new Custom.dic via OCT but that would overwrite the user's existing Custom.dic.
    2. Write a VBS script to add each word to the Custom.dic and deploy that with OCT or use a batch file, then deploy that with OCT or login script
    3. Add another custom dictionary file and add it to Word via the registry with a registry entries (.reg) file but you could risk overwriting the user's custom dictionary files if they have added any. But it would be less risky than overwriting Custom.dic. The path is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Custom Dictionaries and you need to add a string with the index number of the dictionary with the value set to the filename of the custom dictionary. Then a binary value set to 10 00 00 00. If you add another custom dictionary through the UI you can see how it's added to the registry.

We don't usually help with this type of customization through forums. You may want to consider opening a support ticket with us if you need help with deploying something like this. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

4. If 3 is possible, is there any way of extracting the 2003 UK dictionary to add to a custom.dic?

Reading this at face value, no, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean but (in theory), as long as you have purchased/licensed both 2003 and 2010, you could swap the built-in dictionary (.lex) files from 2010 with the ones from 2003 but that is not supported and you could introduce other problems to Office.

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:36 AM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 9:57 PM

All replies

• I'm assuming you're having the issue in Office 2010. I can't tell from your post. See answers inline with questions

Yes, but I don't think there's anything that will address this issue. We come out with proofing updates in both Cumulative Updates every other month and Service Packs. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953878 for more info on Cumulative Updates. The current Office 2010 updates for August 2010 are here at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2396341. There's not a proofing update for this one but the update package would look something like "Proof-en-us.msp", for example http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028573.

No, you can only have one language marked per text range (e.g. sentence) as set in Review > Language > Set Proofing Language...

There's not an option in customize settings for OCT or group policy (ADM) but you could do various ways depending on the way your employees use Word and custom dictionaries.

Here's several options you could try:

1. If you don't mind blowing away their Custom.dic you could copy a new Custom.dic via OCT but that would overwrite the user's existing Custom.dic.
    2. Write a VBS script to add each word to the Custom.dic and deploy that with OCT or use a batch file, then deploy that with OCT or login script
    3. Add another custom dictionary file and add it to Word via the registry with a registry entries (.reg) file but you could risk overwriting the user's custom dictionary files if they have added any. But it would be less risky than overwriting Custom.dic. The path is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Custom Dictionaries and you need to add a string with the index number of the dictionary with the value set to the filename of the custom dictionary. Then a binary value set to 10 00 00 00. If you add another custom dictionary through the UI you can see how it's added to the registry.

We don't usually help with this type of customization through forums. You may want to consider opening a support ticket with us if you need help with deploying something like this. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Reading this at face value, no, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean but (in theory), as long as you have purchased/licensed both 2003 and 2010, you could swap the built-in dictionary (.lex) files from 2010 with the ones from 2003 but that is not supported and you could introduce other problems to Office.

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, October 12, 2010 3:36 AM
    Monday, October 4, 2010 9:57 PM
  • Many thanks for the reply. Yes this is regarding Office 2010, the question was originally posted on the Office 2010 Technet forums.

I think we'll just live with the issue and hope that the missing words are included in a cumulative update or service pack at a later date

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 10:11 AM
  • You're welcome. I reported this to the Office team and will post back if there's any news.
    Tuesday, October 12, 2010 4:42 PM

• <AMP_WSP> wrote in message news:25ba6099-c42b-4bd5-969f-1963e348e303@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

UK dictionary seems to have some glaring ommissions from it's contents. Simple words such as Percent, Spreadsheets and Ongoing are coming up as unrecognised, but all are fine on Office 2003 UK dictionary. They also are fine in 2010 US dictionary.

I would just like to mention that 'percent' is an Americanism, in English it should be 'per cent' (as per the Oxford Shorter English Dictionary). I suspect that the other words have the same problem.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 9:59 PM