none
Backup of SQL 2016 Cluster within a Windows 2016 server cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, so the title of this tells a strange story.  We have a two node windows 2016 server cluster.  Within that cluster, we have a two node SQL 2016 cluster.  Essentially, a clustered cluster.  I'm sure we aren't the only ones to have ever done this.  The SQL cluster works great in this configuration.  The problem I'm having is backing up the SQL databases using DPM 2016.  I can configure the Protection Group without any problems.  It's when DPM actually tries to back up the databases that I  get an error.  It immediately tells me "Unable to configure protection".  Under Monitoring, the failed job has the message "DPM cannot continue protection for SQL server 2016 database <Dbase Name Here> on SQLCLUSTERGROUP.<SQL Cluster Name Here with FQDN>. (ID 30184) 

That ID is useless as the forwardmost tits on a boar hog.  I cannot determine what is causing this issue.  If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it and thanks in advance if you can help.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 1:28 PM

Answers

• I am trying to understand the environment - is this a physical 2 node Windows cluster holding a SQL server instance which was installed into the cluster and can be moved between cluster node 1 and 2. Or is this a physical 2 node Windows cluster with a 2 node virtual Windows guest cluster - holding a clustered SQL server instance. In any case have you installed the DPM agent on both cluster nodes holding the respective SQL server instance. In addition is the DPMServer account part of the sysadmin role in SQL. One way to approach this problem is to add the Builtin\Administrators group back into SQL and assign it to the sysadmin role. Add the DPMServer account to the local Administrators group on both cluster nodes. - See if that works for you.

Best regards

Sassan Karai

• Marked as answer by Spicer411 Monday, October 2, 2017 12:53 PM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 4:56 AM

All replies

• I am trying to understand the environment - is this a physical 2 node Windows cluster holding a SQL server instance which was installed into the cluster and can be moved between cluster node 1 and 2. Or is this a physical 2 node Windows cluster with a 2 node virtual Windows guest cluster - holding a clustered SQL server instance. In any case have you installed the DPM agent on both cluster nodes holding the respective SQL server instance. In addition is the DPMServer account part of the sysadmin role in SQL. One way to approach this problem is to add the Builtin\Administrators group back into SQL and assign it to the sysadmin role. Add the DPMServer account to the local Administrators group on both cluster nodes. - See if that works for you.

Best regards

Sassan Karai

• Marked as answer by Spicer411 Monday, October 2, 2017 12:53 PM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 4:56 AM
  • Thanks for your reply. You're the only one. It is a two node SQL VM cluster within a two node hard-box cluster. I eventually got around to doing what you said I could try and that is what worked.

Thanks

Monday, October 2, 2017 12:55 PM