Gateway GM5420 Vista Home Premium Sound / No Sound RRS feed

• Question

• So we are clear it manifest itself with the initial startup windows " round logo center screen and sound". 

New Gateway GM 5420 Vista Home Premium 4/26/2007 
    When shut down for over @10 minutes then power on there is no sound RED 
    X. 
    Shut Down then power on Sound Back. If shut down is brief then power on 
    Sound OK. 
    Uninstalled the SIGMATEL and used the Microsoft HD Audio still the same 
    problem. 
    Sent back to Gateway 5/03/2007-5/21/2007 came back the same.
    Wednesday, May 30, 2007 9:42 AM

All replies

• I am experiencing the exact same problem. I've reinstalled many drivers from many different sources for this sound card, talked to the tech support, and I have had no luck.
    Saturday, June 9, 2007 3:50 PM
  • I know this issue is way old but it still has no fix... after calling Gateway crappy customer service they had no clue what the issue was and told me to do a full system restore.

Most Gateway computer are equipped with Gateway Recovery Center... it can be access from the all programs tab. Select The Gateway Recovery Center, you are going to be at the Welcome to Gateway Recovery Center window... it gives you the next options.

Recovery: Factory system restore

Programs: Application Recovery Add/Remove Programs

Hardware: Device Driver Recovery & Gateway User Guide

Applications and Drivers External media

You need to select Hardware
    Then click on Device Driver Recovery
    It would show a window called Device Driver Recovery
    Click on Sound devices
    Hopefully there is going to be a Device called: Audio Driver v031.... (Different numbers for your computer). Click on it and click next and it would start installing. Take a look at your tray and the Red X on top of the speaker is gone and you have sound again.

I hope this works for you guys.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 1:00 AM
  • Resent back to GatewayJune 1-11 came back same problem sent back for the third time  June 12--awaiting repair
    Monday, June 25, 2007 10:10 AM
  • Came back again  6-/12-26 same problem resent back  6/27 for REPLACEMENT
    Thursday, July 5, 2007 1:38 PM
  • Got a replacement Reconditioned (per the warrany jombo) loaded the same as the other with the sound problem--WORKS GREAT--appears it they can't fixit get thr replacement.
    Thursday, July 12, 2007 12:10 PM
  • Saturday, June 14, 2008 6:01 PM