Unify various OSD files in one OSD file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Sequencing a software with various exe files, always finalize in one osd for each file.For example, when i sequence Office 2003 i always have one OSD file for Acces, one OSD for Powerpoint, one OSD file for Word and OSD for Excel.My questions is if could be possible to unify all the OSD files in one unique osd file.

Thanks.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:33 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure that I understand the question.

1 OSD file = 1 application = 1 shortcut. If you have multiple applications that require unique shortcuts, you need multiple OSD files.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by Cbragg Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:57 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:09 PM
  • Just to add to this conversation (for those searching and running into this post), although the answer "NO" is correct to the question asked.

There are two situations that we have identified where combining OSDs can be interesting.  Both are related to having two versions (packages) of the SAME application available from a single OSD/shortcut.  For example a 32-bit word and a 64-bit word (although I would never recommend using the 64-bit word!).  The client contains the ability to choose which implementation to use within the OSD based on the OS the client is running on.  This is VERY rarely used.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:20 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure that I understand the question.

1 OSD file = 1 application = 1 shortcut. If you have multiple applications that require unique shortcuts, you need multiple OSD files.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    • Proposed as answer by Cbragg Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:14 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 3:57 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:09 PM
  • No each OSD=1 shortcut. The OSD contains information unique to each shortcut such as filename and workingDir.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:34 PM
  • Just to add to this conversation (for those searching and running into this post), although the answer "NO" is correct to the question asked.

There are two situations that we have identified where combining OSDs can be interesting.  Both are related to having two versions (packages) of the SAME application available from a single OSD/shortcut.  For example a 32-bit word and a 64-bit word (although I would never recommend using the 64-bit word!).  The client contains the ability to choose which implementation to use within the OSD based on the OS the client is running on.  This is VERY rarely used.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:20 PM