none
Confused about recovery points & synchronization RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I'm relatively new to DPM 2010 and after reading through technet I'm still a bit confused on how DPM file protection recovery points and synchronization works.

I have a share that I'm protecting with recovery points at 8 a.m., 12p.m., and 6p.m.  I have synchronization set to 1 hour.

With this configuration I was expecting that my recovery options at 3:30 p.m. would look like this:

8a.m., 12:p.m., 1p.m., 2p.m., 3p.m.

However, I only see 8a.m. and 12p.m. - is this expected?  Is the 12p.m. point supposed to be updated by the synchronization so that it's really 3p.m.'s data?

Thanks for any help!

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 4:45 PM

Answers

• In the example you have given, sync happens a every hour.

And restore points are created @ 8 AM, 12 PM and 6 PM

As we dont have a Restore Point @ 3 PM, we can see only  2 Restore points at 3:30 PM

Next Restore Point happens at 6 PM. That would correspond to changes till the last sync happened before the Restore point creation.

Hence we might not see a Restore Point for 3 PM data, but for syncs happened till 6 PM in Restore Point created at 6 PM.

Assume we have a volume C: and we are protecting C:\Data having 2 files A, B

we are protecting at 7:30 AM with the settings as given by you:

timeline                 JobTriggered           Source                    Replica               Restore Point

7:30  AM                  InitialReplication     A, B                        A, B                   ---

8:00 AM                   RestorePoint           A, B, C                    A, B                   Shadow copy created on replica and exposed as Restore Point (will have A, B as in replica)

[This is a RestorePoint Job hence, this will not do sync, but just creates a restore point which would correspond to syncs happened till before the Restore Point creation]

8:30 AM                   Sync                      A, B', C, D               A, B', C, D            ----                     

[This sync transfers the changes - Backs the C, D to replica, renames B to B'. This will not create a restore point (shadow copy on replica)]

9:30 AM                   Sync                      B', C, D                  B', C, D                ------

10:30 AM                 Sync                      B'', C, D                 B'', C, D                ------

11:30 AM                 Sync                      B'', D, E, F             B'', D, E, F             ------

12:00 PM                 RestorePoint           B'',D, E, F, G          B'', D, E, F             Shadow copy created on replica and exposed as Restore Point (will have B'', D, E, F)

(Note Source data is not same as Replica at Restore Point Jobs because, Sync will not happen during restore point job)                         

Similarily, at every 1 hour sync happens and at designated times which we have chosen, shadow copy is created on replica and exposed as restore points.

Please let know if this clarifies.

Thanks,

GeethaKrishna /* As is provided without warranties and confers no rights */

• Marked as answer by ShaunInCali Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:42 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:33 PM

All replies

• Synchronization -> How frequent we want the source and backups to be synchronized

Recovery Points -> The point in times we want to get it exposed as Restore Points. This is a subset of Synchronization Points (as given above)

The obvious quesion that arises : Why cannot every synchronization points be exposed as Restore Points?

Reason: There is a limit on #Restore Points on a volume, owing to File System EUR and Vss limits. We can have a max of 64 restore points on a (replica) volume.

Check http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808865.aspx for more details.

Thanks,

GeethaKrishna /* As is provided without warranties and confers no rights */

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:11 PM
  • In the example you have given, sync happens a every hour.

And restore points are created @ 8 AM, 12 PM and 6 PM

As we dont have a Restore Point @ 3 PM, we can see only  2 Restore points at 3:30 PM

Next Restore Point happens at 6 PM. That would correspond to changes till the last sync happened before the Restore point creation.

Hence we might not see a Restore Point for 3 PM data, but for syncs happened till 6 PM in Restore Point created at 6 PM.

Assume we have a volume C: and we are protecting C:\Data having 2 files A, B

we are protecting at 7:30 AM with the settings as given by you:

timeline                 JobTriggered           Source                    Replica               Restore Point

7:30  AM                  InitialReplication     A, B                        A, B                   ---

8:00 AM                   RestorePoint           A, B, C                    A, B                   Shadow copy created on replica and exposed as Restore Point (will have A, B as in replica)

[This is a RestorePoint Job hence, this will not do sync, but just creates a restore point which would correspond to syncs happened till before the Restore Point creation]

8:30 AM                   Sync                      A, B', C, D               A, B', C, D            ----                     

[This sync transfers the changes - Backs the C, D to replica, renames B to B'. This will not create a restore point (shadow copy on replica)]

9:30 AM                   Sync                      B', C, D                  B', C, D                ------

10:30 AM                 Sync                      B'', C, D                 B'', C, D                ------

11:30 AM                 Sync                      B'', D, E, F             B'', D, E, F             ------

12:00 PM                 RestorePoint           B'',D, E, F, G          B'', D, E, F             Shadow copy created on replica and exposed as Restore Point (will have B'', D, E, F)

(Note Source data is not same as Replica at Restore Point Jobs because, Sync will not happen during restore point job)                         

Similarily, at every 1 hour sync happens and at designated times which we have chosen, shadow copy is created on replica and exposed as restore points.

Please let know if this clarifies.

Thanks,

GeethaKrishna /* As is provided without warranties and confers no rights */

• Marked as answer by ShaunInCali Wednesday, April 20, 2011 8:42 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:33 PM
  • Hello,

I would like to understand this better. Is it true that for restore we can count on recovery point (created 3 times a day as in this example) and a last replica sync?

For example, if now is 15:00, last recovery point available is at 8:00, and replica is synced at 14:30. This means that we have only last hour of files available, and if we need to restore something prior to 14:30, only option is to restore it from 8:30 recovery point. Please confirm if this is true.

Another thing, how can I restore files from replica using DPM GUI (files that was synced ad 14:30 for example). Gui is offering just 8:00 recovery point, but if I browse to the replica through file system (using windows explorer), I can see files since last sync there. 

Tonza

Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:31 PM
  • I found it.

If I want to recover from latesr replica, all I have to do is to create recovery point without sync and then I can restore my data.

Tonza

Tonza

Thursday, March 8, 2012 4:58 PM
  • I am new in DPM 2010 ..

can you provide me with detailed step how can i create a recovery point from Synchronization

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:54 PM
  • Similar question to this topic. I have a pg with sync frequenzy of 15 minutes and recovery point creation on 02:00 and 12:00 and express full backup at 20:00. How can I restore data from 10:00? If I create a recovery point by gui, it creates it from the last sync. Is it possible to create custom recovery points by script?

Guido

Monday, June 11, 2012 9:21 AM
  • Hi Guido,

If you need to restore data from 10:00 frequently, you should modify your PG and add a recovery point for this time. As state above, There is a limit on Restore Points on a volume, owing to File System EUR and Vss limits. We can have a max of 64 restore points on a (replica) volume.

Your Express full backup is for data others than file.

By script you will have to use the "New-RecoveryPoint" CMDLET : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff631925.aspx.

Example of script:

$pg = Get-ProtectionGroup -DPMServerName "YourDPMServer"
    $ds = Get-Datasource -ProtectionGroup $pg
    New-RecoveryPoint -Datasource $ds -Disk -BackupType expressfull

Stephane.

Monday, June 11, 2012 10:10 AM
  • Hi Stephane, does this work differently when doing SQL Backups (not simple mode)? I ask because I have 15 minutes synchronization backups that I can pick when recovering in that case. Why is it diferente for SQL? Doesn't it have the same VSS limitations mentioned above? Or is it backing up logs only?

MCITP, MCSE, MCTS

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 6:14 PM
  • I am still confused about this topic and not very clear about recovery point, Sync and Express full backup.
    Monday, February 10, 2014 9:28 AM